Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    jillionsing

"Is it a waste of time"?

"Is it a waste of time?" newspapers are asking...
    Recycling - separating rubbish...
    now stockpiled in UK because it has no value / the recession...

How convenient for authorities to now argue that is the case - exactly when we are being told to consume more
    (to keep our unsustainable car-based economy economy going!)

Don't be fooled or lulled into submission!

Please don't accept councils have got it right!

If we keep on consuming, there will be nothing left.

PLEASE DON'T burn the paper and card mountains!

There are a million good uses -
    for example: every council could create meaningful / worthwhile employment by encouraging the opening community-based
    co-operatives - for example: making interesting new products from recycled paper & card they have pulped...

I'd enlist tomorrow if such an opportunity existed.

It's not always a case of the top priority must be making money - it's more important to do things with love - cos that way, you''ll get nicer things as a result - things that satisfy because they are wholesome...

Might lead to a better system whereby people are less greedy, and lazy, with far fewer things being thrown away / disposable items being manufactured - helping people to be healthier and happier...

The ideal kind of sustainable future politicians don't want us to have?

(More info. http://www.the-alternative.org.uk
    FREE downloads: Project it & Chapter 9: Waste)

sweet thing
    We always re-cycle everything, but in the papers recently we have read that more and more councils are taking the re-cycled rubbish to the normal tips. WHY???

The supermarkets have to do their part also, it is no good taking carrier bags away from the customer and making them pay for them if they want them when they are still selling food in non-recyclable containers and still selling bin bags and food bags which are non recyclable.

All manufacturers should now make food packaging and bags of recyclable material then there would be no issues involved, everything would be recyclable..

What is so annoying is our recyclable bin is only collected every 4 weeks and we have more recyclable waste than we have normal waste, so we are then having to transport this to the recycling dump ourselves, so what on earth do we pay our rates for.

We either do one thing or another, if it was so important to our climate then everything would be recyclable.

Jolly Roger
    The only thing i do for love these days dear is to love my wife, NOT the Council. I recycle everyday but get no thanks so why should i help any further.

Seren
    Recycling is not a wast of time I could say. It is very important for our earth. The future will be shine in our earth if we take good care of plants and it habitats.

ranjithkumarreddy
    recycling is useful and is not a waste of time.

Mark J
    I think you can take conservation too far.

luludoodie
    I resent the heavy handed atitude of our council.

So we put all our food waste into our 3 compost bins. We also shred all non glossy paper which also goes into the composters. We grow our own veg/fruit so the continual production of compost keeps our garden very fertile! It was very heavy clay but is now really rich after many years composting!

littlerobbergirl
    its globalisation 'gone mad'. we were sending all this stuff to china ffs, and now they dont want it. where are the british businesses reusing these materials? more short term thinking.

Dave
    Whats wrong with a compost heap? Only buy things wrapped in paper/card and let it rot down for your garden. Why do things have to be so complicated these days? Or make briquettes for your fire.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information