I was thinking today about how much I miss playing sports and being competitve. I'd like to start a league for baseball, football, hockey, and for those interested - basketball. My reasoning for this is I miss playing competitive sports. There's softball leagues, but I'd much rather play baseball...and most softball leagues are just an excuse to get drunk afterwords (not that there's anything wrong with that...but I like to seperate my sports and my drinking). And for people who miss the physical aspect of sports like football and don't want to play flag football. I want it to be competitive, but not over the top competive.

Here's how I would like to do a baseball league:
-Each team has a team leader or coach who will also play for their team.
-Have all players interested in the league come to a mass try out.
-Every player selects 2-3 positions they would like to try out for (also everyone gets a couple rounds to do batting practice).
-Team leaders/coaches have a silent/discreet draft after the day of tryouts. We'd do the silent draft to avoid creating ego's or hurting anyone's feelings.

When selecting players, managers can see what positions the players want and can't select a player to play a position they didn't volunteer for. This way, everyone can play the position they want. Also, there will be no cuts. Say if there's 30 pitchers and the league only needs 25...the first 25 to sign up for the league get to play, the last 5 do not. The league wouldn't be performance based in that sense.

In the beginning I'd make the league for 18-29 year olds. If I felt it was a success I'd help people older than myself set up a 30-39, or 40+ league if they wanted too.

I'd like to do the same for football and basketball. So here are my questions...

do you think something like the baseball thing could work? if so, what are some of the steps I'd have to take?

for sports like hockey and football...I'd assume these sports would require more work/money. football fields and hockey rinks are hard to come by. also the pads and gear are more expensive. Also, they're more physical sports...are there any legal issues or healthcare issues I'd have to take into account?