Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

History's Strongest & Mightiest Disciple! The Kenichi Thread

So, this is it.
    A all things Kenichi thread; from the anime, to the manga (and talkback for it), to the video game and so on.

If you don't know what Kenichi is let me give you the summary and some tidbits...

-----
    Shijō Saikyō no Deshi Kenichi (History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi [Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple in FUNimation upcoming DVD release]) by Syun Matsuena started in August of 2002 in Weekly Shonen Sunday with 27 volumes to date and is on going, spawning a anime series and a PS2 game based on what is the main storyline of anime series.

As for the plot?

Our story revolves around Kenichi Shirahama, your typical shonen weakling, whose life completely changes by the arrival of the incredibly cute, some what naive at times, and over all buttkicker Miu. In a attempt to brave up and stand up to some delinquents who try to attack Miu, in which she blazes through taking them out; Kenichi amazed, decides to join the Ryouzanpaku, a dojo in which master from all styles of Martial arts accumulate and he pleaRAB to train in order to become stronger. Yet as Kenichi faces down the bullies of his Karate club, people begin to notice his now growing strength, thus begins the battle of Kenichi facing of against the merabers of Ragnarok, a gang who views him as either a possible ally or an impending threat to their plans, whatever those may be, as Kenichi none the less becomes "History's Strongest Disciple~!"
    -----
    So yeah, it's been around for somewhile, but originally my friend had told me about it, but I was under the impression it was something like Baki the Grappler or Fist of the North Star, but once I actually watched it?
    I fell in love with it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vic for Kenichi but I suppose him as Hermit will do. Do they have a cast list at all?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nope. And the official website says its to be released in January of 2009, so it might be a while before we hear anything.

I think with a few edits here and there, Kenichi should be pushed for Toonami, similar to One Piece and Naruto. I think fans of Naruto would easily get into Kenichi.

Also - action figures!

Also I hate the name change. Does anyone know what brought about the name change?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rolling off the tounge?

The description sounRAB like something I could easily get into between waiting for another season of Ippo to be made.

I do too as well agree that Kenichi should be on Toonami, but the way CN is noe, I doubt it will.
    Which, I wouldn't care if it aired on [as]...

As for the name change?
    I don't care, it doesn't have that same punch the original has but Hey.
    But, I'm hoping Viz hurries up and licenses the manga.
    yet, it'll take them forever to release it though unless they go on a monthly schedule and that's only if it sells well.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The name change just sounRAB totally pointless. Even if the Japanese producers asked for the name change . . . then the Japanese producers are silly for doing so. Just a pointless, ridiculous name change.

But yeah, the anime getting licensed does give the manga a better shot of getting licensed as well.

While apparently the manga and anime are mostly similar, things happen differently. And the storyline continues in the manga after the anime stops.

Is there potential for the Kenichi anime to continue or is it pretty much done for good?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

From what I know there is a whole lot of potential

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Love this series, has a good mix of action, comedy, ect... Don't know why Funi licensed just the first 26 episodes. But hopefully they get the other 24.

Also, anyone else think the manga should have been stateside at least a year ago? Because it feels that Viz should have brought it along when they were doing Law of Ueki or Hayate the Corabat Butler.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I knew they bought Hayate (reading it now) but they bought Law of Ueki too? That's weird I cant' find it anywhere. Oh well. Yeah, I think that Kenichi is looooong overdue to come stateside.

(Somebody please rescue Law of Ueki. This is the only Geneon dub that I hated. And Shakugan no Shana. Those dubs weren't too good)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't much care for Law of Ueki in Japanese either though.

I imagine the series getting licensed in the US definitely bolsters the situation for the manga getting a US pickup as well. Its only a matter of time now.

OK, so now Funimation only licenses the first 26 episodes? Why? Are they not the same series, or is it because they are separate seasons and Funi had to do it by season? Just seems weird. It would just annoy me if Funi does a great job with season 1 and another company enRAB up with the other half of the series. That would be lame.

Also, I'm racking my brains, but I can't think of any Funi regular VA's that could make a good Nijima. That's a tough one. Maybe Brandon Potter. But Brandon Potter would probably do better on a couple other characters.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information