Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Smartpants

The emotional effects - how to deal

Hi All,

Havent posted here in a bit, but did quite frequently awhile back. I had about a 15 year struggle with acne, that finally got better, but now have an even bigger (but related) problem with ingrown hairs on my chin...they basically get infected, cause acne like marks and look HORRIBLE. this is absolutely crushing me and i dont know what else to do. tried every medication, tried laser hair removal treatments (almost 20 of them) which is the most effective (normally) treatment and the problem has only got worse. my entire chin is full of these sores and doesnt cover up with makeup. it is also physically painful!

so i guess my question is....how do people cope??? i try to go on as normal and works for awhile, but sometimes i just cant....it makes me not want to go out in public, i avoid frienRAB/situations, etc. the hopelessness is the worst -i feel like ive tried EVERYTHING, nothing works and there is no hope...the problem is only getting worse...

help?

SP

I'm sorry,that sounRAB terrible for you.To me it sounRAB like Folliculitis.You say you have been on medication for this? Antibiotics? Oral or just topical?
    What do you wash with?

Smartpants

ive tried everything - almost 20 laser hair removal sessions, as well as all the usual acne treatments - benzoyl peroxide, salycilic acid, and now an antibiotic cream to deal with the infections

I'm surprised you haven't been prescribed an oral antibiotic.Perhaps topical isn't enough to get the infection.
    How long have you been on the topical?

Also,to help answer your original question,there is a good book called HEALING ADULT ACNE by Richard g. Fried. It has a whole section on the emotional effects of dealing with acne.It is really a great,informative read.It helped me a lot when I was going through the worst of my acne problems.
    I'm on Prozac also,so that helps me some with the emotional aspects.

Smartpants

thanks for your responses, whenitrains....i am also on spironolactone which should be targeting the hair AND acne AND hormones but alas, that does nothing either...going in for latest bloodwork tests soon, but everything keeps coming back "normal" which isnt helping..

Hi,no problem Wish I could help more.

How long have you been on Spiro? I heard that it can take a long time to work because it deals with hormones.I'm really interested in taking it myself because I heard it can help with oily skin issues from hormones.My doctor (not my derm,my GP) is clueless though and says too much testosterone in women is "extremely rare".Yet,acne is pretty much caused by testosterone,so if a women has acne,it makes sense she might have a hormonal issue.

I really think an oral antibiotic would help you though.Sometimes,it gets to a point where the infection is under the skin and keeps coming back.The only real way to corabat it,is to get it from the inside.Topicals are ok too,but they take longer and some aren't as strong.

That's what happened to me when I had really bad cystic acne.My skin was infected.Everyday I had new breakouts when I woke up and my face was soooo painful.

My derm put me on 3 months of minocycline,corabined with topicals and things got so much better.

I'm really sorry you are going through this! But I'm sure there is something that will work for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information