Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    saalmalik

Pain at 6 weeks post discectomy

I am 6 weeks post op (L5/S1 discectomy) and still have constant leg/foot/butt pain. I know that it happens but I'm interested in hearing any other info others may have.

I am supposed to get back to work tomorrow and am really nervous as i am currently unable to sit for more than an hour a day or walk more than 20 mins a day.

It is difficult to be patient (as most of you know). I am interested in the "good" and "bad" info, specifically experience.

I am also interested in learning quantity of medication to control pain. I am currently on 1800mg of ibuprofen per day and paradex.

thanks,

Sal

Jsnow

Hi Sal,

I am 6 weeks post L5 S1 Microdiscectomy. I never had pain but I did have weakness/tingling sensation in the same areas that you do. Unfortunately I have not gotten any serious relief from the surgery. My ankle area still feels weak and the rest of my right leg still bothers me. I don't know if we need to be more patient or what? But you're in good company. I feel your pain....literally! I hope it gets better soon!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi! I had a mircrodisectomy in May of 2008, I had the exact pain you are describing at the time. It will take time, at the very least 3 months for the nerves to heal, they heal very slowly. Please do not be impatient, your body neeRAB time. My healing happened in 3 months segments, first 3 months nerve pain, then it became less and less. It does get better as time goes by if you do not have unrealistic expectations. Take it slow and easy and do not do anything foolish, bending, lifting and twisting. Soothing music helped me, it kept me more relaxed. The body has a natural way of healing itself if we do not get in it's way. Take care, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Blessings!

saalmalik

jsnow and wildflowers.. i am really grateful for you sharing your experiences.. it appears that that most people forget about the board once they are better..

I also get pain in the leg when i sneeze and pass stool.. the pain is greater towarRAB the end of the day as well.. had an MRI done 7 weeks post op and could not see a real different between pre and post op condition. Am scheduled for a nerve block this week..

wildflowers can you advise if you had pain when you sneezed or while passing stool?

I hope to get better in the coming months.. once again thank you for your kind wishes..

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good Morning Sal, I had pain in alot of unusual places, sneezing and going to the bathroom was one of many, the nerves refer pain in all directions sometimes. Would you be so kind to tell me who suggested a nerve block considering you are so early in your post op recovery. I had a epidural when everyone cautioned me that it was way to early in my recovery to do so, I ended up with pain in both legs and would have taken the initial pain in a heartbeat. Pain can make one very fearful , however, there are alot of alternatives, 6 weeks is just so very very early to expect your body to be totally pain free. Please be kind to yourself and do not compare your recovery to any one else's, we all are different, some will have a easier time and others will have a longer recovery time. Patience and time!!!!! I hope this helps, we all are here for you. Blessings!

Mel52

Yikes at 6 weeks I was still wondering why I had the surgery. I felt like I had a cement rock on my back, my legs ached, burned, went nurab had sciatica down the leg and I felt wiped out from the surgery.
    It took about 9 months to really feel like I had crossed over the hump and was glad I had the surgery.
    If I did too much my back would swell and my legs would burn. It is a long process. 6 weeks is nothing. I hope you aren't lifting or pushing too much. Take it easy on yourself.

saalmalik

wildflowers.. i cannot tell you how grateful i am to hear your experience.. hope is all i needed to feel positive.. i am 8 weeks post op now.. i saw an orthopedic surgeon in dubai who recommended a nerve block as the new MRI still shows signs of nerve compression..

must sound very corny but in these difficult times i have found a friend who has been more kind than old frienRAB, some of who give up, when you are no longer fun to hang out with

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information