Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

S60 vs. Windows Mobile

So I was considering getting an E61 and I was wondering if you guys could give me some pros over Windows Mobile. I'm deciding between the E61 and the new Samsung SGH-i600.

Currently, Windows Mobile seems to suit my needs more because of the built in MSN Messenger (I need this), ability to open powerpoint and word files, and it looks like it's easier to surf the web with. Is it possible to do the first two things on S60 phones? The most important features for me are wifi, qwerty keypad, MSN Messenger, internet browser, a GOOD calender/planner, and ability to open/save MS office files would be nice also. music/video/camera are not important for me as I already have a K800i for those thigns.

S60 vs. Windows Mobile

there are a number of previous threads comparing S60 to windows mobile and I am sure (in the cingular forum for sure) there are e61/62 threads versus windows (same form factor) threads.

The long and short is that both are smartphones and have available software to do any of the tasks you listed. Windows mobile phones are known for being the PDA first and the phone second and S60 takes the opposite approach (most of the time). Windows mobile often takes a lot of "tweaks" to get it right, while S60 works the way it works striaght out of the box.

If you already have an inclination towards the samsung go for it. If you buy it from a store you (often) have 30 days to figure out if you made a mistake, take it back, and get the nokia. It may seem like a "hassle" but it's the best way for YOU to figure out which phone works for You.

S60 vs. Windows Mobile

The E61 will meet all of your requirements with ease and I highly doubt there is a better phone out for web browsing than the E61!..I surf on it constantly and browse and post on hofo all the time with it. The qwerty is the best I've owned!...and MSN messenger is available for this phone as well!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

S60 vs. Windows Mobile

I would love to hear real-world comparisons of what I consider the basic everyday use of the two types next to each other; for instance, an E61 versus a Dash (since they're roughly the same size and so forth).

- who handles the IM (AIM, GoogleTalk, MSN) more smoothly as if it were your *only* IM app (no desktop). from keying in text, to multiple conversations, to running it constantly in the background. At my place of employment we use IM as the primary means of contact (many remote workers).

- who handles IMAPS and SMTPS (IMAP and SMTP over SSL) with 'non-verified' certificates (like ones from CAcert.org) more smoothly; from the connection to smoothness of doing your email to the features of the client (for instance, I know S60v3 supports IMAP IDLE for new msg notification)

- who handles SSH (PuttySSH or similar) connections better to work with your remote servers as the need arises; from font and colour selections, to cut&paste, to multiple server connections.

I see many reviews of the more obvious things (size, weight, features, etc.) but nothing that speaks to me as a nerdy *nix IT professional type of guy. Honestly the Treo I think wins from what I've heard, but it's lack of tru multitasking makes it a hands-down loser in my book (I also don't like touch-screen, but that's my issue).

S60 vs. Windows Mobile

As far as the needs you have mentioned both phones would fill up your needs rather nicely. Yes, messenger is native to MSN but there are plenty of apps out there for you to add and play around... and not all of them you have to pay for.

The only thing that I would say, since I am trying to be objective is that the current Gen. of E-series phones have anemic ram. So it comes down to how many programs you want to be running in the background.

S60 vs. Windows Mobile

As for Windows Messenger. Microsoft have an app for s60v3 (the version of s60 on the E series) see: http://e61life.com/?p=105

S60 vs. Windows Mobile

I'm a Symbian user to the heart, but to be fair I tried out both the SMT 5600 and the 8125. I kept the 8125 longer, but in the end I came happily back to Symbian. Here's why:

First, your questions:
    1. As stated, there are numerous MSN IM clients available for Symbian. The best, IMO, is AgileMessenger, but they have recently started charging for it, and I don't use MSN that much, so I've resorted to EQO mobile for my AIM needs. It barely gets the job done, but I know there's a Microsoft MSN client available that's a native S60 app, unlike EQO which is Java.
    2. QuickOffice (comes pre-installed on all S60 phones) allows you to open and view Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files, just like on WM5. However, you must purchase a full license to be able to edit/create them, again, just like WM5 (IIRC).
    3. Personally I prefer the s60 approach because (and this isn't only the browser) it's designed to be used on a phone. I don't like touchscreens cause it's inconvenient for me most of the time to pull the stylus out and try to use that. I can do things much quicker with a joystick and number pad.

Onto my reasons:

1. This is key, to me. I sync everything with my PC (Contacts/Calendar/To-Do/Pics/Videos/SMS/MMS). I do this at least twice a day. With s60, I can do it easily via bluetooth, and I can set it up so that I don't have to do ANYTHING. When I get to my front door, my phone AUTOMATICALLY connects with my PC and syncs all that stuff, so that by the time I get to my computer, it's all there, without me having touched either one. This is key for me.

2. ActiveSync Software sucks. It sucked back in 01 when I had an HP Jornada, and it sucked in 05 when I had the 5600, and it sucked in 06 when I had the 8125. It's just not useful software. It's clunky, it doesn't do things you'd think it should, and it's just crappy.

3. S60, as was mentioned before, is phone first, then PDA. WM5 is basically XP, shrunken. Which means you still have registry issues, you still have an insane amount of folder heirarchy, and you have to know EXACTLY where to go to do stuff like adding ringtones, changing the background, changing settings, etc. With S60, I can put an MP3 in the obviously labeled "Sounds" folder and boom, it shows up in my ringtones list. Themes, I double click on my computer and boom, they install. I can change my menu to look how I want it, and I can change everything else, too.

Things just work out of the box in s60. When I got the 8125, I was so excited, till I realized I had to make all kinds of registry hacks, which if you screw up, you screw up your phone, just to enable/disable things that should've been there anyways.

I also found the software library of s60 to be more extensive, as well as having a more active community.

Real Member

Status
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

S60 vs. Windows Mobile

could you point in the right direction to do this the ay you described. till now i have to do manual sync.

thanks

S60 vs. Windows Mobile

Install PC Suite and Nokia LifeBlog (Lifeblog is only if you want MMS/SMS stored) on your computer. Pair the phone to your Bluetooth enabled PC through the regular bluetooth stuff (you can get a USB Bluetooth Dongle for $20 at CompUSA. Just make sure it's Bluetooth 2.0) In PC Suite, click "Get Connected" at the bottom of the menu. It'll walk you through setting up contacts/calendar/todo. If you click on "Advanced Settings" the first tab allows you to set whether it syncs manually or automatically once or automatically periodically. I use automatically once.

Back on the main PC Suite menu, if you click "Image Store", you can change all the settings to determine when and where it syncs pics and videos.

You leave bluetooth on all the time on your phone (can be in hidden mode, and it doesn't affect battery life as much as you'd think) and wa-la.

It's easy as pie.

S60 vs. Windows Mobile

I have had this phone for a while now. I have changed many phones in the past... I had commitment issues, for the part of it I wanted a cool phone, but E61 hands down is the best thing I have ever owned.

I have used MDA/SX66/ AND few other windows mobile devices. They all had a lot going on it. More of a pda and less of a phone, and the memory leaks!!! god that bothered me so much, every other day I had to restart the phone!
    Battery life sucked like crazy!

E61 serves a lot of purposes for me:
    1) PDA - all my agenda, and notes are in there
    2) Emails - exchange server syncing!
    3) RSS feeds - all my rss feeds, including hofo
    4) Internet Radio - Yes, I listen to radio on it!
    5) My movie player - not too much of this option cuz I seldom get time. But inbetween classes I watch simpsons or something!
    6) Installed vimio - so I have live tv streaming
    7) Voip calls - use truvoip for making voip calls, excellent quality!

Keyboard is very stable, device itself is very stable
    Sometimes it acts sugglish, only sometimes! ...
    For me its definitely a keeper

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information