Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Thinking of switching - both to Symbian AND to Exchange, need advice please...

Hey everyone,

I've been dragging my Blackjack along for too long now, and i have been totally dissatisfied with the phone and its PIM capabilities. So, now that the shiny new N95s are coming, I'm seriously thinking about making the switch back to my first Symbian phone since the beloved SE P800.

The thing is, through a weird coincidence, my website is up for renewal, and I figured it might be a good time to change phones AND web hosting; and try out a hosted exchange for once.

So my questions are:

1. since I come from the Windows mobile world, what are my options as far as hosted Exchange services that would work on the N95?

3. Are the wireless PIM sync functions identical between WM phones and Symbian ones? Meaning, can I wirelessely sync my contacts, calendar, tasks (very important for me) like I would on a WM phone?

2. Also, do any of the companies that offer Exchange hosting for S60 also provide web hosting packages? Since i'm going to be renewing the domain for my website, i figured it might be better to have everything under one company.

That's all, thanks in advance for any info/answers. And if I've posted this in the wrong section, feel free to move this message to where it should be.

Cheers, TDX

I have both an e70-2 and an e65 and OTA syncing with an exchange server works flawlessly with Mail for Exchange and Blackberry Connect. BBC does not OTA sync contacts but you can have BBC and MfE working together.

Thanks for the response. So, if I were to get Mail For Exchange, I would basically be able to do everything II would do on a WM phone, right? Or are there differences/limitations?

Also keep in mind that the SE P800 you had runs UIQ, while the N95 runs S60. Both Symbian beneath, but as I'm finding out with my P910a, both incredibly different, as well.

I think, though, coming from a BlackJack, you'd enjoy the N95 ALOT.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

MfE is a great program, in my opinion, much better than the WM platform. I used a Samsung i730 for awhile and got rid of it. BBC is quicker than MfE and probably a bit more secure, but unless you work for the CIA, MfE should be fine. As I said, I use them in tandom. There is also emoze, which I haven't tried (because I use a Mac) but understand is top drawer.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, thanks again for the responses. I have no doubt I will enjoy the N95 over the Blackjack, after all that's why I'm intent on switching. Now, to get back to the first part of my question, which company would you recommend that offers both Exchange and website hosting?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Only problem here is that we don't know if N95 will work with Mail for Exchange. I only know that the 1.3 version worked on my N80, but the 1.5 version does not. Most of the replies on this forum are people using E-series devices and not N-series. The 1.3 version syncs with contacts, calendar, and emails. I don't think Task sync.

You can also buy Roadsync from Dataviz, but that cost is $99 I believe.

I recently made a similar switch from a Samsung I320N to a Nokia E61i. The I320N is very similar to the Blackjack. I loved the size of the Samsung but I wanted more features. I have tried out Mail for Exchange (free with the phone) and RoadSync ($49) and both work great with Exchange. The one thing that both of these solutions is missing is task syncronization. Keep in mind you only get real "push" email with Exchange 2003 or later. I'm not sure about compatibility with N series phones, but you shouldn't have problems with any E series phones.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have seen this site around that lets you push your pop3 or imap over mfe.
    http://mail2web.com/
    mfe seems to work well, but using the always on setting it really seems to suck the power. i have found that a check every 15 min is good enough. you can also use the built-in pop3 and imap to get mail, but you would have to use pc suite for syncing calendar. pc suite will automatically sync over bluetooth when in range. so if you had it set to auto sync and you leave your home or office pc on when you get within range it will auto sync.

i have used mfe and good for work email and i really like good a lot more, but you need the server that costs more money where mfe works if you have an exchange server.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information