Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Apps2SD in 2.2 vs. Cyanogen

So I have read Google is finally going to release Android 2.2 and it will support Apps2SD for app storage. GREAT! Does anyone know how it will compare to CM's new version of moving apps from phone memory to SD?

I updated to CM5.0.6 which is supposed to have the ability to move the apps but it doesn't show up on my phone, an issue for a different thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

When you go to settings>applications>manage applications you should see an option that shows if the app is in internal storage or sd. Which ever it is you can move to the other.

Yup, supposed to be there. I am trying one of the UV/OC kernels w/ the Desire camera so that might have something to do with it.

Well, do you have apps2sd configured? You cannot move your applications to the SD card without actually enabling apps2sd first.

I think the issue is with the user, as nobody else is having this error with the ROM The kernel does not have anything to do with apps2sd.

Make sure you know how to use apps2sd and you have your SD card configured properly.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running this kernel with the Desire Camera and it shows up on mine.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=668265&highlight=desire+camera
    I was also running persiansown kernel and it showed up.
    As bmclure said you have to have a parttioned card and have apps2sd checked.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Being the user in question I would agree with you!

The Apps2SD option in my settings is grayed out so I guess a little more home work on its use in my future.

Thanks for the brutal honesty, it is needed sometimes.

Oh yeah, I guess I was really asking if the Google Apps2SD is going to be a little more noob friendly. Will I be able to transfer existing apps as well as new downloads?

Nobody know for sure, there's going to have to be something to lock the apps down to the sd card because as it stands now with apps2sd you can buy the app take it off of your sd card and return it the same day. Doing that you wouldn't get any updates to your app and it is stealing. This is the reason I though we would never see apps2sd on a stock phone.

Well, wherever you read that is incorrect.

The enhancement request tracking page for this is here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1151

If you refer to comment 533 you will see a Google employee set the status to "Future Release". Then in comment 535 he said "I'm not permitted to disclose scheduling information - suffice to say it's coming soon".

Some people are assuming that "coming soon" means Android 2.2, however this is due for release imminently, and usually the code branches are locked down months in advance (so no new stuff is added, they just fix any issues they're having with that release).

Now, that doesn't mean to say it won't come with 2.2, but there is no evidence that I've seen anywhere that says it will. Unless someone else has seen something?

Real Member

Status
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

its grayed out because you dont have your sd card partitioned. an ext partition is a requirement for apps2sd to work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information