Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Egg on My Face re T5 prediction

Well this is somewhat embarrassing, in a tonque in cheek sorta way.

I predicted that PalmOne would release the T5 today and since it's now 9:45PM Pacific time and it's still not on P1's web page well.......

For those of you who took my "bet" to the tables in Las Vegas and bet on the Moose -

I am not covering your losses!

Then again there is always next week on October 5th.

Or maybe Friday the 1st?

Or maybe I don't have a fricking clue and this is just wishful thinking?

Oh, the heck with it - I'm outta here it's Miller time.

Moose,

I'll let you know what I can find out at my Circuit City store. I'll know as soon as it comes out (hopefully).

Don't bet on me though!

LoL

Have a goodnight (rather really early morning oy!)

-Seth

The longer it takes them, the fewer patches we'll need to download to fix a premature release -- right?

RIGHT?

...and if they don't release, we won't need a patch.

I bet against the spread on the 28th as the launch date. I'm now ahead in the T5 launch pool.

I'm setting my bets on Oct. 1. That falls right in line with their normal release pattern.

Apparently, Amazon leaked a pic of a hard case for the T5 where the "actual" T5 is into the case. It looks plainly as a Tungsten E.

Though the known specs, particularily that of 256 MB of onboard storage are explosive, if the looks are those, then it is a dissapointment. After all, I already own a 256 MB SD card.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd grab a permanent landscape 256/Flash handheld in a BIG hurry. Plenty you can do with an EXTRA 256MB on a card.

Most appealing is if the new one is STILL OS5; it's the "last chance" to get an OS5 unit, compatible with your current software (and older stuff that won't be updated to meet OS6), and have:

landscape
    no slider
    256 MB of FLASH
    recognition as external drive
    all SD Card/PIM updates
    AppSlipRotate/StatusBar updates
    Docs2Go 7 with charting ability
    hopefully a better digitizer

-- all in all a GREAT deal for T2 or previous model owners, and a very good deal for existing T3 owners like me. It might even sway some of the Treo owners to go back to separate phone and PDA (only way to go if ou ask me!) and really "step it up."

If my above description turns out to be the case, I'd be very happy with it. Gives me "breathing room" to find an OS5 improvement to the T3; otherwise I'll be looking for a 2nd "spare" T3 and that can be a nightmare as time passes.

Just dropped in to say "Wassup?" Did you guys see this article over at rabroad? Interesting insight on new Palm OS:

"PalmSource's European developer conference is going on now in Germany, and this company is using this opportunity to show off Palm OS Cobalt 6.1, the latest version of its operating system.

A lot of what PalmSource has added to Cobalt 6.1 is for smartphones, but handheld users will find plenty to make them happy, too.

First off, support for VGA (640-by-480 pixel) screens has been built-into the operating system. Previously, a Palm OS licensee who wanted to use a VGA screen would have to do much of the work to enable this itself.

Switching between portrait and landscape modes is also now a part of the operating system.

PalmSource has also redesigned the user interface in Cobalt 6.1 to give many applications a more modern look and feel.

This operating system also introduces a Preferences application designed to allow users to manage numerous individual settings and preferences in one central location.

Cobalt 6.1 includes built-in support for Bluetooth 1.2 and Wi-Fi (802.11b) wireless networking.

SDIO (Secure Digital Input/Output) is now a part of the operating system. SDIO allows peripherals such as cameras and wireless networking cards to be plugged into the SD memory card slot.

In addition, Palm OS Cobalt 6.1 is compliant with USB On-the-Go, a technology that facilitates compatibility between USB-enabled mobile devices.

Of course, simply because PalmSource has added support for these features to the operating system doesn't mean that every future handheld and smartphone will include all of them. Instead, it will now be much easier for licensees to integrate any of these features they want in their devices, without having to do a lot of the coding themselves. "

for article over at http://www.rabroad.com/article/Palm_...alt_6_1_Debuts

I don't think permanent landscape will be a good thing. For some viewing, it's good, but to me not so for writing. Only portrait makes you hold the PDA in a way similar to that you hold a pocket notepad.

I'm anxious in this waiting for October 1...but I'm affraid the T5 will dissapoint me because of usability compromises.

The T5 will probably let you switch between landscape and portrait display modes. What will be permanent is that the screen will remain in the stretched position.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information