Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

signature locking program for palm os5

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to get an app like the CIC Sign-On for Windows PPC. http://www.cic.com/products/signon/

I want a program like that for the Palm OS. Do you guys know of any program?

Thanks,
    Seth

I've never tried it but there's Signature Wallet. You can find it on Palmsource:
    http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index...e&prodid=41845

Seth,

I'm sorry but I don't understand the purpose of that program at all. There's nothing about signing your name that makes the Palm more secure than a decent password. I would think that it could even be more insecure because, if you sign your name enough, you'll leave an impression on your screen or screen protector that anyone with a little graphite powder could pick up from the screen. And what happens if you ever injure the hand you use to sign in? This seems like a gimmick at best and a a real pain at worst.

I hadn't even thought of the "Columbo" thing with picking up the signature on the vinyl sheet . . . cool beans, Jim!!

The other thing no one thinks about is that there's more to security than "not being able to get in using buttons or graffiti."

Unless you lock out the serial port and ENCRYPT the information, you're wasting your time.

I have a database in MobileDB4 that has private stuff ("had" -- it's been deleted!!) . . I needed a password to "unlock it."

Well TealMover now has a hex editor and view screens . . . just for laughs I brought that bad boy up . . . and read everything perfectly. Not "locked" at all!!

I would recommend TealLock: LOCKS OUT the serial port, 128 bit blowfish or quick XOR or RC4 (your choice), automatic locking based on time, power off, or on demand. After "x" amount of tries, it will EVAPORATE everything on there is you set it that way, and now erases TealLock files LAST to further increase security. It also has a boobytrap feature which will wipe the whole PDA if a certain code is entered. Make sure you know your code before setting these last 2 options (you're prompted about that when selecting them).

It will also encrypt files on the SD CARD if you wish. Now THAT IS PROTECTION. Skip the "touch here on the photograph" type apps and the ones described above. They're simply not "real" security -- they're gimmicks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information