Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

T5 to-get software list?

I just shipped fo the new T5 and was wondering on some of the softwere i should get, but dont know the quality and reliability so if someone could/will tell me some good applications os whatever to obtain in thies factors:

File Compression;
    What or where can i get a popular and universal file compressor (like winzip is for PC's)

Games;
    Know of any good and long RPG's/Emulators

Defragmentation;
    I dont know if the T5 has a good or any data defragmentation, but is it should have one or get a better one what should it be?

File Management;
    Any one i should get? the default one good enugh

On-Device SDK's;
    What r the good ones

or anything else that whould be essential to it...

THANKS
    ()()
    (- - )
    (")(")

T5 to-get software list?

First, welcome to the forum!

File Compression: Shouldn't need it and not sure if FlyZip works in OS5, let alone 5.4. I'd skip it or wait for input from other members.

Games: Not a game player - sorry -- IIICRuled is a game whiz, as are some others on here - they can help you.

Defrag: Not necessary in Palm OS

File Manager: Wouldn't trust the "default" one at all.

Filez 6.4 is freeware; works great on the T3 and has many improvements, but may glitch on the T5. If so, they'll release a T5 compatible version soon, I'm sure.

TealMover is in my view the best, and Tealpoint have new beta FIXING the T5 file menu selection "snags" as of 2 days ago. Moves/copies multiple files at once, and allows you to increase the dynamic stack request for any application as well as see Saved/Unsaved Prefs and includes a hex editor (if you're into that). That's the one I would go with, although again FILEZ is FREEWARE and many people swear by it. I have it as a "backup file manager" to TealMover.

Two other great freeware "managers" are SysTool (11k, ONLY views saved and unsaved prefs and allows deletions but does it well and very clearly displayed), and then also TomCatalog (very hard to find now but it is posted on this forum if you do a search), works on T3 despite being older app, and allows filtering by creative ID - handy in finding orphans and checking version numbers quickly.

I can't vouch if these last two work on the T5, however.

Hope this limited input helps and once again . . . welcome. You could actually be of great help letting us know if these apps work with the T5, as well as the following freewares:

AlwaysOn
    dbScan
    Digi
    Colorize
    Offstroke

They are all available from freewarepalm.

T5 to-get software list?

ill be happy to test thoues, i just ordered on line and should be recieving the T5 (hopefully) Tuesday/Wednsday, cant wait.

OS 1.x - 5.x
    Question on compadability, whould or should apps from like Os 2.x or1.x work on higher also (like 5.4) or not? even with it may being B&W?

T5 to-get software list?

If there's anyone that HATES vagueness it's me, but my answer would be . . . . maybe.

And maybe not. I was amazed that some older apps like Date Difference and Tom Catalog and SysTool (4-5 years!!) work GREAT on the T3, which is OS5.2.1.

However, 5.4 is a "new animal." Some may, some may not. There is the general "rule" that "most" hacks wouldn't work in OS5 but many apps would, and then there's OS 5.4.

I'm afraid it's trial and error since I have not seen a posted listing anywhere of what's "weird" or "crashy" on the T5.

I have heard that Agendus and TealScript - two sparkling "new" application versions - crash on the T5. Without the calendar update apparently its own PIMS were crashing - let alone 3rd party! It is these "software worries" that made me decide to stick with the T3 - and what makes your experimentation so VALUABLE to the rest of us.

On the other hand, Natara Software ("Bonsai" Organizer app - fantastic!) just released a T5 update, free to registered users. Tealpoint just released FOUR FREE upgraded versions for T5 with 3 more coming within a week. So there's hope that at least "current software" will be updated to work - but I can't vouch for how many developers will actually do it. That's why I stick with who I stick with. I'm surprised there isn't an Agendus one from Iambic . . . but that may be a good thing (check out previous threads regarding THEIR "new" versions!). Sometimes you're better off sticking with the one you have, if it works.

As far as I'm concerned any time you find an app that WORKS on the T5, post it! You might want to start one "T5 compatibility findings" thread to save forum space and organize the results - then just append the post or post a new one within that same thread. Saves space and would be a good "compilation."

All the best and thanks so much for offering to ACTUALLY TEST 3RD PARTY STUFF and review THAT functionality. It will be a big help to others on here. Cheers!!

T5 to-get software list?

k will do

i get it on MONDAY before 3:00 pm Cant wait lol

T5 to-get software list?

Iambic claims Agendus will work after the T5 update from palmOne, along with the latest version of Agendus is installed.

One word of caution about Agendus though. Many people are getting Fatal Exception errors whenever a meeting alarm goes off. Iambic doesn't know what is causing the problem yet.

T5 to-get software list?

The Iambic Forum is alive with reports of Agendus NOT working with the T5, then working "somewhat" if the Agendus app is UNINSTALLED, then the update placed on there, and then Agendus REINSTALLED.

The DIA problem is big too . . . no landscape for some people, who are being warned NOT TO load the typical "DIA 2x apps" we're familiar with due to the T5 having its OWN.

There are crashes of other types, but you'd have to look at the "Bug Report" portion of the forum; I can't remember all the nuances.

MOST IMPORTANT: People are claiming that Agendus is now "verrrryyy sllooooooow," to quote one chap - and Iambic's response to him was that due to the memory changes, the T5 just ISN'T AS QUICK AS THE T3 and therefore Agendus is slower and "oh well!" (that's not a quote). Apparently going from Agendus to AgendusMail is AWFUL.

Iambic are working on it . . . but considering the last "upgrade versions" and how long it took before 8.06 finally fixed everything, I wouldn't hold your breath. Apparently V9.0 is "around the corner;" I've already emailed James to ask if there'll be a charge for me - I just purchased the upgrade to 8.06!! Frankly, unless it address MANY T3 issues, and not just T5 ones, I'd give it a pass . . . haven't had a glitch with 8.06 and I've "got it where I want it." Wonder if they'll break the "1MB" mark on the T5 / v9.0 version?

You have to at least give them credit for trying . . . I wouldn't bother, frankly, if I were a developer. OS5.4 will need so many software fixes IMHO that it might even bankrupt some firms who may find it very expensive to hire the programmers to fix the PalmOne "debacle" they call the T5.

Not that I'm biased, or anything. I'm just glad my stuff works . . . and I tried to warn you good people despite a couple of others on here AND MYSELF being "chided" for being "negative." Well here you go! The results are coming in fast -- Remember . . . be POSITIVE!! So now you have a T5 with "fixed landscape," which doesn't work all the time . . . you can finally synch your calendar . . . alert the media on that one . . . now do you wait 6-8 months for "most" of your apps to work? Just to be in the SAME PLACE YOU WERE with a T3? Am I nuts or is that a ridiculous waste of time and money? What on Earth is the appeal over and above a T3 considering these headaches? It's beyond me.

I've YET TO SEE one review HERE from someone trying out a large number of 3rd party apps, but someone did post a listing on the Iambic forum (same thread) listing about a dozen apps of theirs that WILL NOT WORK -- and it's scary, boys and girls. They're all what would commonly be thought of as "standard but necessary" applications.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information