Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Navii remote + T5 = DEATH!!

hello,

Just being dramatic,

But the problem is serious.
    I installed the Naviiremote program, and yes I can control all my home theatre products.

However... after installation the bottom 3/4 of my screen has vanished, (however any interface and icons are present, in spirit only!) just cant see them.

Anyone else ran into this?

Or else knows how to reset the T5 completely?, not just hitting the "special 'reset' button.?

thnx!!

rylenf

rylenf,
    you probably installed an application intended for use on a T3: the "blank" part of the screen is the one would be exposed by sliding the lower part of the device.
    I encountered a similar issue with a GPS navigator application (TOM TOM).
    I reset the t5 using a procedure called "zero out" which is described here:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...l2001,case=obj(887)#zeroout

Factory settings will be restored.

Bye

Sorry,
    the link I included was incomplete.
    These are the info:

Zero Out Reset

Tungsten T5, Treo 650 only
    A zero out reset will regress a device that has non-volatile memory to its factory-fresh state. When done correctly, it completely rewrites your device's internal memory with zeros and ones, ensuring that any data is expunged. It should be used only if you want all information completely obliterated (example: you're selling your handheld, or you're sending it in for repair, and want to protect your privacy).

Warning: A zero out reset will erase everything on your device. All your data will be removed, and formats, preferences and other settings are restored to their factory default settings. Don't perform a zero out reset unless you want to eradicate everyting.

HotSync note: If you wish to continue using your handheld after a zero out reset, please be aware that some third-party applications change the way your handheld backs up data. Other third-party applications do not back up data. If you have third-party software on your device, please contact the developer to learn what components are backed up during a HotSync operation, and if HotSync conduits are altered. Any data not backed up will be permanently deleted.

There are two ways to perform a zero out reset.

Method One (Tungsten T5 only)

This method works only with a Tungsten T5. It does not work with a Treo 650; for Treo 650, use Method Two, below.
    If you've set a password on your device, any hard reset will automatically become a zero out reset. With this method, you'll enter a password and then perform a hard reset.
    On your handheld, launch the Prefs application. From the list that appears, under General, select Security.
    If the Password box says "Unassigned," tap the box and create a password for your handheld.
    With the password set, perform a hard reset:
    Hold down the power (on/off) button on your device.
    While holding down the power button, turn over your device so that you can see the back of it. Still holding the power button, use an unfolded paper clip or a similar small object, to gently press the RESET hole (where?). Keep holding the power button throughout.
    While still holding the power button, the screen will show the palmOne logo and a progress bar will appear at the bottom. Then the circular Palm Powered logo will appear. Release the power button when you see the Palm Powered logo.

Keep holding the power button during this screen. When you see this screen, you can release the power button.

A message will appear warning that you are about to erase all the data stored on your handheld. Press UP.
    You may see a screen that says "Reformatting in progress. This may take several minutes." This screen will remain for several minutes (up to 10 minutes). Don't do anything while this is happening.
    If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device will finally go blank after several minutes, and you will not be able to turn on your handheld. The charging LED will not light up. (any other activity ? such as the Palm OS logo and then the Applications launcher appearing ? means the reset was performed incorrectly; try again)
    Your device will appear "dead." To wake up your handheld, perform a soft reset.
    If you want your device to remain in factory state, stop here. If you want to restore data to your device, follow the steps for recovering after a hard reset (a zero out reset is a special type of hard reset).

Thnx fabio,
    I made the mistake of installing the navii remote program intended for the T3.

I used the zero out process, and my factory settings were restored no problems.
    The only issue I encountered is performing a HotSync operation resulted in the disappearing screen again.
    On palm.com's website they had a solution as follows:

1.Rename your Backup folder to "Backup.old". Your Backup folder is in your device's User Folder on your computer.

2.Perform a HotSync operation to restore the personal data in your built-in applications.
    Note: Because you renamed the original Backup folder (which contains your third-party applications) to "Backup.old", none of your third-party applications will be restored to your device. A new, blank Backup folder will be created in the User Folder directory.

3.The HotSync operation will not affect the applications in the original folder that you renamed to "Backup.old".

4.Begin re-installing third-party applications one at a time: double-click on a single file in the "Backup.old" folder that you moved to your desktop.

Perform a HotSync operation to transfer the file to your device.

Attempt to reproduce the issue causing trouble.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information