Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Palm GPS for palm T/X

Hi, I'm hesitating between Palm TX GPS or GPS only.
    In our country Palm is selling a tied-in offer with TX + GPS Receiver + Soft at a fair price. The offer includes maps of our main cities. Website of the manufacturer is www.movilogic.com
    Today I asked to these guys about loading maps of other countries, and they say the system is only compatible with the maps they offer (just local maps), I was very disapointed by the answer.
    Question is: If I buy something global, will I be able to download our local maps? Or I am suppossed to buy 2 softwares: 1 local + 1 global? This sounds kinda crazy....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Palm GPS for palm T/X

I've been using GPS with Mapopolis and a Palm T3 for years. The first GPS I got was a wired one, the disadvantage is it needs external power so can only be used in the car, not on foot or bike, and only with the T3, not my newer TX. The advantage is it's always "there" - set the Palm s/w to start the GPS and it just _does_.

I've just got a Bluetooth GPS receiver, which has the advantage that it also works with other devices, eg. my Nokia E61 phone. The disadvantage is that each time I start Mapopolis on the T3 I have to actively select the GPS from a list of Bluetooth devices.

Maybe newer software is better like this - can anyone advise? I do like Mapopolis, but it's getting long in the tooth now and they're not selling new maps for it anymore, so as I've mentioned on this forum before, I'm open to suggestions for replacing it.

Palm GPS for palm T/X

PS. If you already have USB charge cables for your devices (I have them for the T3, TX, E61 and GPS) then you don't need a seperate car charger. You just need a car-to-USB charger and a 2-way USB splitter - once you have both of those two you can easily charge 2 devices in the car, off the laptop, etc.

Palm GPS for palm T/X

I've just called to Palm Tech Support and they recommend to install (and buy of course) as many softwares as regions you want, which means that, for instance, if you go to the US or Canada you can purchase TomTom + Receiver and while I'm staying here I can keep using our local soft (movilogic) + receiver.....I wonder what if I go to Asia or Europe? How many receivers and softare should I have to install on my TX?? It doesn't make any sense for me, but Palm seems to have zero experience about GPS Navigation.
    Right now my #1 option is to purchase a Full GPS Navigator, like GARMIN, and the maps for each additional region. Disadvantage 1: Price (Europe Maps cost about U$s 300), Disadvantage #2: One more device.
    It seems we must keep on dreaming until Palm finds a global GPS software development company to work with.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Palm GPS for palm T/X

Hi to all!

Does anybody know, if the Seidio G4500 cradle support NMEA protocol ?

We use G4500 cradle with Palm TX and Holux GR213 antenna and Tom Tom 5 SW.

The GPS antenna isn?t recognized, so it seems that there is a problem with protocol or the connection cables.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

BR
    Chris

Palm GPS for palm T/X

Ok, sorry im new to this and im not really sure what to do i want gps on my palm tx, if i am correct i will need a GPS reciever, i beleive bluetooth, and navigation software.
    Number one what is the cheapest software and reciever availdable in the uk, and where can i get it.
    Number two how do you install the software onto your gps,
    Number three how well does it work?

Thanks
    please help

Palm GPS for palm T/X

Have a newly purchased TX and want to add GPS - for street nav, not off-road.

Cost is less of an object for me than ease of use and overall quality.

Ideally looking for a bundle with all or most of the HW/SW required, including a windshield mount and maybe case.

TomTom Nav 6 looks strong, but isn't compatible? Can't find much info on the EMTAC 4.0 that appears on Palm's site.

Any other pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Palm GPS for palm T/X

Most people equate 'gps' with on the road navigation. Occasionally I rely on GPS to get me somewhere I've never been, but more commonly my Palm 'GPS' is used off road to locate specific sites. My gps unit is a bluetooth Holux 240, an excellent and relatively inexpensive gps (~$80 online) that uses the latest SiRF technology. Long battery life, charges with a convenient mini usb cable, and is far more accurate than a $6000 Trimble backpack unit we purchased only 3 yrs ago. For auto navigation, I use the latest version of Street Atlas USA 2008. ~$60 for the deluxe version that will even let you set a waypoint by entering a phone number. It plots routes, gives voice directions, sets waypoints, tracks, all the usual stuff. The city maps seem very accurate and the rural maps are sufficient that I have never been lost in the Louisiana outback. SA2008 also lets me listen to audible books while navigating, which I find more essential on long trips than navigation. If you're going to navigate in town, get a dash or cigarette-lighter mount. Better yet, hand your TX someone else to navigate. These things are more dangerous than cell phones in a vehicle.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Palm GPS for palm T/X

Hi David

Thanks for offering to answer questions.

Will this also work with the T3 as it also has Bluetooth?

Regards

Patrick

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information