Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone Still Watching "Tom & Jerry Tales"?

Is there anyone here who is still sticking with this show? The last few new episode they've aired have actually been for a surprise anyone hoping they'd treat the characters a little better than what we're used to these days.

Two recently aired cartoons have actually used Tom designs from the early 1940s. One cartoon - "Kitty Cat Blues" - kind of goes halfway with the retro Tom design, making him furrier with claws and the fuller white muzzle of the older cartoons. This past Saturday's cartoon - "A Game of Mouse and Cat" - goes all the way with the design, with six whiskers, a less defined color separation between the eyes, as well as keeping Tom on all fours pretty much through the entire cartoon. Jerry even looks better as well, and it seems the character designers, layout artists and animators are finally figuring out what makes Tom and Jerry well...Tom and Jerry. I'll never get used to computer coloring and backgrounds when applied to these characters and I honestly don't see the harm in making Mrs. Two Shoes black but at least it's obvious some effort is being made.

I really, really wish this gets renewed for a new season somehow.

I would totally watch the series if it got renewed and got unto Cartoon Network (or even Boomerang :sweat: ).

Yeah, I'm still watching it! I agree, the animation is getting better (honestly, too visible whisker spots on T&J in past episodes = pretty ugly!)

BTW, anyone catch "Babysitting Blues" this past Saturday? Yeah, freaking hilarious! The big baby left me in stitches!!!

I often try to give it a chance, and I sometimes purchase the DVD releases, but I too often fall asleep during them. They're just such slow-paced cartoons, but it has gotten better recently. The only real problem now is the dull and uninspired music score.

Only a few episodes have been shown on TV in Australia, but it looked interesting, and I hope to watch more.

Is the Tom & Jerry Tales series meant to be 4:3 or 16:9? as the series is been shown in widescreen, but I noticed the DVD releases were 4:3.

The thing I'll miss most about the Steven Speilberg produced Warners toons of the 90's was the fact they actually used a big old orchestra to score the music. Not it's probably 3 guys in a small closet sized room and a couple keyboards (I'm really being generous here. There's basically just one keyboard). It sounds so artificial. I think they've gotten better second season, but the music still seems a might shallow for the cartoon they're trying to recreate.

I've said often, it may not hold a candle to the original theatricals (what does? What does?) it really captures the spirit of the original series, much much better than all the other TV versions combined. Even Hanna and Barbera's version didn't hold up to their classic creations. And Why in heck would someone even consider a limited animation firm like Filmation for something that needs full animation?

This is where Warners went right where they totally went off course in recent years. They weren't turned into ninjas, superheroes, babies, robots, mutants or anything like that for the entire run of the series. They were still Tom and Jerry in their purest form. The violence was a little toned down, sure, and I would not expect anyone in this day and age to use the "Mammy" version of Mrs. Two shoes, but it really captured the spirits of the cartoons.

They characters didn't talk outside of giggles and shrieks. And the Blues episode looked like it was a lost script from the olden days, borrowing from the Zoot suit kitty cartoons. I really think I'm going to miss this show when Warners crashes down saying "We don't want to spend money to make money anymore." This isn't the hundreds of derivitive flops you've been funding. This isn't Coconutbob Coconutpant's Loonatics Get a Clue. This is what made your company great.

^^Agreed DrTooth. If the second season of this show turned out so good I can only imagine how good a third season would be. Sadly, it doesn't look like it's in the cards for "Tom and Jerry Tales". Like it's been said elsewhere, only things 4Kids have a personal stake in will probably find home on the new FOX block, so it looks like all action is the order of the day. And if WB wants out of the animation game right now then I guess there's not much that can be done anyway. And that's when Saturday morning becomes a distant memory for me.

It looks like all 13 second season episodes have already aired, so I suppose it's time to say goodbye to the show. Hopefully we'll get two more DVD releases so at least I'll have all the shows to watch whenever I want.

BTW DrTooth, if you liked "Kitty Cat Blues" I suggest catching the cartoon "A Game of Mouse and Cat" the next time it reairs. Great vintage design on Tom with a cute role reversal plot.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely brilliant episode there. Just an amazing performance by both. Role reversal is cool and all, but this is one of the times they really Nailed it.

Well, 4Kids isn't all action. There'll probably at least be a little comedy among the action next year. 4Kids will most likely continue with Viva Pinata (which is actually a pretty decent comedy show, IMO) and they also developed a pilot of a new comedy series - Rocket Monkeys - which may be made into a series.

So Tom & Jerry Tales is pretty much done, then? Well, I didn't get to see a lot of it, so here's hoping that Cartoon Network picks it up for reruns.

I still whats Tom and Jerry Tales from time to time. Its a cool show but my biggest problem with the show is that Ms2shoes is white instead of black. But the show should have at least one more season.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information