Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What cartoons from the 70s would you say is decent/enjoyable?

We have animation fans who insist that current programs are the best and that older programs are only enjoyable for nostalgic reason. We also have fans who believe that the current material doesn't measure up to the classics.

Then of course there are those who believe that all decades had their gold and garbage.

Now one decade that I've seen no defense for is the 70s (I'm not saying that the decade was bad as I haven't seen every piece of animation from that decade). The cartoons at the time had some strikes against them such as the fact that they had to have plenty of moral values (The biggest offense from what I've heard is Tom & Jerry actually being best friends) and action shows not allowing for any punching or kicking.

Now going with what I've seen:

Superfriends and the incarnation of Scooby Doo from the 70s: While both of these shows have their share of criticism, it seems as though a good portion of viewers see them as harmless fun/guilty pleasure. Or in the Superfriends' case, so bad that it is good.

Star Trek The Animated Series: As far as my opinion goes, the show certainly doesn't conform to the rules that you see on 70s cartoons. Had some intense emotional moments like the episode Yesteryear. It was pretty much written as an episode of the original series rather than a typical cartoon.

DePatie-Freleng did some good cartoons, bulk of which were theatrically released through United Artists. Their best works were from the sixties, but they did some decent shorts in the seventies. "Ant and the Aardvark", "Tijuana Toads", and some "Blue Racer" were enjoyable, IMO. The later "Pink Panther" were dull, but there were handful of funny ones (the ones directed by Robert McKimson and Art Leonardi especially)

Their Saturday Morning output were largely a miss, although "Misterjaw" I though were okay, mostly due to the voice work of Arte Johnson and Arnold Stang.

Otherwise, I tend to stay away from 1970s cartoons.

Scooby Dooby Doooooo! *howls*

I like to stick with HB stuff and classic mech/magical girl anime as far as the 70's go.

I probably should have specified, but this thread is pretty much about US Animation, though I suppose if those anime in question were US Dubbed, they count.

Incidently, could you and Lavenderpaw specify your choices?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hong Phong Phooey and Jabberjaw are my two favorite cartoons from the 70's. I assume they're decent.

The original Scooby-Doo (okay so it came out in 1969, but the majority of it was in the '70's.) Also Hong Kong Phooey isn't half bad

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not too sure if I've ever seen anything from the 70s other than Scooby Doo. Most of the stuff I watched as a kid was current for the time, or much older like the Flinstones or Warner Bros. stuff.

Personally I like Josie and The Pussycats
    The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm show
    Super Friends
    Laff-A-Lympics
    The Tom & Jerry Show
    Scooby Doo
    Inch High Private Eye
    The Pink Panther Show (it was around mostly in the 70's)
    The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
    The Clue Club (I've never spoken to anyone else besides my mom who liked this show)
    as for older licensed anime I can't think of any that I liked that wasn't from the 60's or the 80's:shrug: lots of unlicensed stuff though

Anything from Hannah-Barbera was great in the 70s, and clearly stands the test of time because it's still available on Boomerang.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information