Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Men, especially in animation, stereotypes...

Let's face it. Men take the brunt of society these days. There are just so many pro-feminists out there that masculinty is getting all but shunned. Personally, I'm pro-choice. Do it and take whatever sanctions follow.

Here are some stereotypes in cartoons I've noticed and quite frankly it's a very annoying trend.

Macho-vain-cockheads: Men who obsess over themselves so much it's criminal or worse. Spongebob - Mr.Krabs: Greed. Larry the lobster: overly-muscled meathead, Plankton: Well... whiney and obsessive.

Comic reliefs: Usually men and women can split off comedy, but only usually only the supposed 'idiocy' of men can ensure laughter.

Idiots: Well, let's take some familiar examples. Fairly Odd parents - At first Cosmo's stupidity was kind of cute but his careless, reckless and high-pitched persona should have been reexamined carefully. Family Guy - Peter, lord spare us all, has progressed from usually well-meaning but havoc causing man to a complete incompetent oaf who can't care for himself because he's retarded.

I can't be the only one noticing this...

"Feed...the...idiot..box"
    ~Bamboozled
    Stereotypes are a part of most mainstream shows anyway, so why is this surprising?

I think the most overused, and tiring one, is when they pair a goofy, inept, or reckless man with a perfect, flawless, intelligent woman. Kim and Ron, Cosmo and Wanda, Ben and Gwen, Homer and Marge. It's basically your standard sitcom married couple (usually fat, funny husband with sexy, smart wife). Seeing the reverse is an absolute rarity.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really wish we had an eye-rolling smiley.

Agreed. Personally, I'm not bothered if the woman just happens to be a genius, but the man should have some wit and intelligence as well.

Also I never understood the fat husband thing. I rarely ever see a housewife who remains to be of perfect body weight after having kids. :/

However, I do think that there's some exaggeration to the "masculinity being shunned" idea. There are plenty of intelligent male characters in animation: Dexter, Professor Utonium, Frylock, Kyle Broflovski...

But for what it's worth, I actually view it as the other way around usually. Like with the example of Cosmo, I viewed it more sexist towards woman, seeing how he's treated her. It's like suggesting that a wife isn't worth being nice to for not being perfect and agreeable. (Ya know... for kids!)

And to be honest, you can consider the whole idea of the attractive wife actually sexist, seeing as most of the cartoons on today are created by men. So this suggests that the model for a wife is supposed to be perfect and attractive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information