Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cartoon character appreication thread

Ever had cartoon characters you really liked or appreciated? Were they popular or obscure? Were there aspects about them you really liked? Certain aspects you'd wish they'd change? This is the thread to talk about them here (This might need a title change, but I submitted it too early when I meant to hit preview.) I've had several, but I'll start small.

Most of the Peanuts Gang. They seemed to be pretty wise beyond their years for 6-8 year olds and I easily seemed to identify myself with most of the characters. I felt like Charlie Brown most of the time, with some Snoopy thrown in. Still, there were times where I felt Charlie Brown didn't need to get treated like crap (It's Lucy's fault she cost her team the game, you idiots!).

Plucky Duck - I wasn't that big of a TTA fan, but I watched it whenever it came on. Being a Daffy Duck fan, I liked Plucky as well, and I especially liked the Baby Plucky shorts. But I always felt sorry for him. At least in the earlier Daffy shorts, he wasn't always a loser, he was a party animal. I felt like he should've been more like the Old Daffy Duck at times because I always hated how he would be portrayed as an egomaniac loser.

Lil' Sneezer - While I can see why he was a minor character, Sneezer was just adorable. My favorite episode was Nothing to Sneeze At where he tortures the closet monster, Oogie with his powerful sneezes.

Kuki and Mushi Sanban - I liked Numbuh 3 from Codename Kids Next Door. She was always my favorite of Sector V. I liked her sister just as much. She acted just her, but was a lot more clever. Sadly, they turned her into a villain, which annoyed me to no end. She could've became an ally and use her deviousness to fool her enemies. A friend told me this once: "In S.P.A.C.E., she wasn't evil, just clever. In K.A.S.T.L.E, she wasn't being evil, just being a girly girl." I eventually E-mailed Tom Warburton about her being evil and whether she'd turn good.

Note: E-mail reply has been cleaned up to look more presentable.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed in Mushi turning evil... but aren't we all disappointed when someone takes a turn to the dark side? (Oh Anakin... why why why?)
    Personally, I'd like to think she's not TOTALLY evil... just a bit misguided. But who knows- one day maybe she'll make a 180 and join up with the good guys.

Only time will tell... hopefully!

I'll do some more later.

Pink Panther - The reason I chose him is because he's such a mellow fellow. He's a silent character who goes about his business while keeping his cool around bad guys.

Goofy - He's perhaps my favorite cartoon character. His trademark laugh and his buckteeth clearly resemble his personality that's also filled with a kind, warm heart toward other people. A-hyuck!

Donald Duck - My favorite cartoon character. The fondest cartoon memory I have is watching the Scary Tales tape featuring a lot of his shorts every Halloween in the cabins that my family would visit yearly. He's one of the characters who really inspired me to love cartoons as I do today. And I still watch Scary Tales every Halloween. tive of the anI love everything about him, especially his temper because of all of the unique situations that it got him into.

Mickey Mouse & Goofy - I have to also give recognition to the other members of the Fab 3 who I love almost as much. Mickey is a cartoon icon as well as the symbol of animated shorts. And Goofy was one of the origins of "clumsy humor" as I like to call it. Both were and still are great characters.

Shaggy - I love Scooby too of course, but I want to especially mention Shaggy because I'm exactly like him. I'm extremely skinny and eat a ton. I walk the same odd way that he does, am afraid of a lot of things, and I look just like him as well.

Noah - TDI - Adding a character that doesn't get a lot of recognition. Voted out third in Total Drama Island, he didn't get a chance for his sarcasm to really take flight until an episode later in the season where he became my favorite character. I love his attitude and dry humor and I hope that the creators utilize it in Season 3.

Pepe Le Pew - I don't know, but really like this character. He's like what I am not.

All hail Marceline.That is all.

I'd shout praise to my three favorite fictional characters ever, whom have all held that status since childhood (Daffy Duck, Donald Duck, Woody Woodpecker), I haven't really watching a lot of classic cartoons lately, taking a break and watching more of what was made after the golden age. Even if most of its just for nostalgia.
    Anyhow, I'll just give kudos instead to one of my favorite characters created in modern animation, Sheldon from Mlaatr.
    As did the rest of the cast, he started off pretty basic in his earlier appearances, your typical "dorky genius/geek" character of whom you'd see in A LOT of other shows made both before and after. But, while the crew didn't take advantage of the character's potential as often as they could have (Good Ol' Sheldon comes to mind)he eventually became the guy anyone can relate to at one or another.He's the poor guy who can never seem to get the girl of his dreams, getting closer and closer to achieving his goal as his failures grow more and more abysmal and humiliating to experience. But he never gives up, getting right back on his feet and trying again. I can understand if other folks dislike him due to him sometimes stooping to being a rather creepy stalker, to where you can't blame Jenny for rejecting him, but seeing just how much Sheldon went through in Price of Love pretty confirmed why I still like this poor guy so much.
    Also, When I first started getting into the cartoon as a kid, I recall being quite relieved that they were avoiding the "geeks ALWAYS wear glasses, have braces, have a lisp, etc" cliche that pretty much EVERY other geek-ish character on other cartoons had.
    Oh, and no, I'm not a JennyxSheldon shipper. I just enjoy the crazy lengths the guy goes through, dat's all.

All of the characters on Phineas and Ferb. I mean it. I like all of the characters on that show. And it doesn't often happen that I like all of the characters in a cartoon. Usually there's at least one that annoys me. But not on P & F.

Come to think of it, I pretty much like all of the characters in the Simpsons too. But my favorites are Homer and Marge. They're the greatest cartoon love story ever, and funny to boot.

The original Pink Panther in the original Pink Panther film. He was so cool then. He's lost a lot of coolness in his various incarnations since.

Donald Duck. He's really funny and easy to identify with (at least for me).

Tasmanian Devil. I saw a cartoon with him in it the other day, and he was growling and spitting all over and I laughed like crazy.

The original Cosmo and Wanda. Man it hurts what's happened to them.

I used to like Spongebob, but man the scripts for that show have gone downhill.

Right now I'm really liking Sonic and his gang. He and Knuckles are cool in a snarky way, and I even like Amy, especially when she uses her Piko-Piko Hammer. Not to get off-topic, but whatever happened to Sally Acorn?

Bugs Bunny - Plain and simple, he's my favorite cartoon character of all time. I like that he's typically a laid-back character who's always just minding his own business, but when push comes to shove, he can get even with the best of them, all while maintaining his cool. And I love how crafty he is, whether it's with disguises or setting up contraptions (a good example being the elaborate trap he sets for poor Toro the bull in Bully For Bugs, one of my favorite Bugs shorts).

Donald Duck - My second-favorite. Similar to Bugs, he's a simple guy with an always-happy mood in the beginning. But, unlike Bugs, that infamous short temper of his unleashes a crazy amount of rage when triggered. I love how quickly (not to mention how much) he gets himself in over his head, and how he just refuses to give up, even if he ends up only digging himself deeper and deeper into a hopeless situation. I feel sorry for him that nothing ever seems to go his way, but at the same time, watching him just go absolutely crazy over something always cracks me up.

I always liked characters in a series who are the sanest among a crowd of idiots, but act funny at the same time.
    Take Edd from "Ed, Edd n' Eddy". He's the most sympathetic and kindhearted person in his neighborhood, and while he does take part in scams with his friend Eddy, he's usually forced into taking part and regrets doing them. I really hate it when he gets roughed up by the other characters and taking the blame for everything.

I also like the character Lisa Simpson from "The Simpsons". She's the sanest person in her entire town, and yet she still does crazy things from time to time. Plus, she's an intelligent little girl.

Several more of mine...

The Powerpuff Girls - Oh man, were those three girls cute. If there was ever a cartoon that proved you can look cute and still throw a nasty smackdown, this was the one. I've enjoyed them since seeing both the "What A Cartoon!" shorts, which I still have on tape (And in good condition, no less).

Slappy Squirrel - I was never really into Animaniacs, but she was the funniest character on there. She and the Warners were the only two that were even funny. Slappy, INO should've had her own show instead of Pinky and the Brain.

The Fireside Girls - I like most of the characters from Phineas and Ferb (Save for Irving and Albert) but these girl scout amuse me simply becasue they do stuff that's just as over the top as the title characters do. I was watching The Fast and the Phineas, and upon seeing them work a pit-stop, I was laughing my butt off that. Did I mention one of their patches involve wrestling alligators in sewers?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information