Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cartoons planned for an older audience, but get switched to kids cartoon

Now we all know that nothing in life is perfect, there are bound to be mistakes and it includes for animated features(as well as animated series). Now every now and than during production of an animated film or series, depending its production a screw up or more than one screw up happens. Which the result of it isnt pretty, best example cool world being turned into a PG13 Roger Rabbit knock off over an R rated horror animated film. So what are animated films as well as tv shows that were planned for an adult audience(PG13 and R) but however got made for kids?

I did hear that Osmosis Jones was originally supposed to be PG13, but production problems had got it to where the PG film of it is today. Quest for Camelot, from what I have heard had a similar situation to Osmosis Jones. But Camelot wasnt planned out as a Disney knock off from the start.

One of the more famous examples is Disney's 1985 feature The Black Cauldron, which was envisioned as a very dark and violent fantasy film that'd be aimed squarely at teenagers and young adults. Instead, it got reworked to death and became just another Disney movie, although it was Disney's first animated film to be rated PG.

The most recent example would be Neon Knome > Problem Solverz

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Disney's Enchanted was originally going to be a Touchstone movie that was rated PG-13 or R. I don't know if it was true or not.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well the most famous is The Flintstones. Used to sponser cigerattes, now look at what they sponser.

I guess the most obvious example is The Flintstones. It started out as an adult sitcom but over the course of the show the target demographic shifted, and nowadays it's really mostly a children's franchise.

A bit different, though, since the early show wasn't exactly "racy" or anything, but it did fit right in with all the other live-action sitcoms of the day. The target audience did shift nonetheless.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

to

blegh.

The same thing happened to The Jetsons. The 60's version aired in primetime alongside other sitcoms, while the 80's version aired in afternoon syndication, which it often reserved for children.

Yeah same thing, though at least they had Judy and Elroy to give younger people to identify with. Though one real difference between I would view the Flinstones and the Jetsons in what the audiance would be is the difference in the main character. George Jetsons is a more safe character to let your kids watch, he is like Danny Thomas character from his show or Mike Brady, while Fred Flintstone is more like Ralph Kramdem or Archie Bunker, if these were sitcoms those would be the audainces they would be allowed to have.

There are differences in sitcoms in what is the target audiance. In the old days you had the 8 pm hour and the 9 pm hour, and if I looked at the shows material, the Jetsons was a 8 pm show and the Flintstones was a 9 pm show.

I guess the point I am making is the Flinstones had to be tweeked more than the Jetsons in order for it to make the transition from adult target audiance to kids targeted audaince.

The Powerpuff Girls. It was originally for adults, but the creator was forced to tone it down once the show got picked up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information