Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toon Zone Talkback - Happy Tree Friends Help YouTube's Copyright School

This is the talkback thread for Happy Tree Friends Help YouTube's Copyright School.

Heh. I used to be a moderator on Mondo Media?s Happy Tree Friends forum, and at one point, I helped them get hundreds of illegally uploaded episodes pulled from YouTube. They sent me some autographed merchandise as thanks, including some post-it notes that thanked me for being such a dedicated fan. I eventually had a disagreement with them so I left, but it?s nice to see them be the ones to handle this message. I?ve seen firsthand how it has been a losing battle. The video doesn?t quite feel like the series without the blood, but some of my favorite episodes of the short-lived television series had less bloodshed than their online counterparts, so I still enjoyed it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it me or did it felt soooooo one of those old and cheese 50's movies like Duck and Cover.

Anyway may or may not work so lets see what happens, i seriously thought Happy Tree Friends had ended along time ago, i got bored quickly by watching too much gore.

It's not the first time HTF has done something "retraux". See: the ski resort short, I forget its name.

I think the choice of an HTF short for this is rather odd, given the series' high violence (in spite of the fact that this is bloodless). At least it's fun to watch, though.

It's not going to work, but only because people already understand what's going on and what they're doing (even if a little). Don't get me wrong though. I'm not implying that people who do it are actual criminals. As many people already know, it's not as simple as that.

My disagreement with their use of HTF aside, I can't support this either way. IMHO, requiring people who do it to watch this video is just another way of punishing the many for the actions of the few; the former including even the honest uploaders who do it for educational purposes and stuff like that. After all, it's not like they're deliberately trying to break the law or anything like that. Now, I of course don't support copyright infringement, I just don't think this is fair to people who would never even think of doing that. Some video descriptions even go so far as to say that they would take them down if they were asked.

Pretty interesting vid but odd choice considering that if this is someone's first time seeing Happy Tree Friends they could get the wrong idea about the show and it's violent content. This is more kidish than any other Happy Tree Friends vid ever made before it.

Gotta love how it has a 4:1 ratio in favor of dislikes. Doesn't seem to be convincing many people, eh?

Infringement isn't going to stop by talking down to people or treating them like criminals. Period.

Maybe the corporations should embrace the expanded audience gained from infringement and find a way to turn their interest into profit instead of whining and forcing them into their outdated business models.

I think the copyright law is the worst law ever. So is Trademark, Registerted Trademark and Patent.

This *was* my first time seeing this show/its characters, though I'd heard how violent it's supposed to be, so knew this wasn't a typical outing.

As for the video, a lot of harping on what *not* to do, but not enough on what we *can* do. There's also a glossing over/ignoring of fair use rights, which deserve more explanation than being brushed off as a quick "medicine warning label" gag. Wonder if it'd kill YouTube to institute a Creative Commons licensing system, akin to what Flickr has for its photos...

Re: copyright: no, copyright's not bad... but the abuse of the concept of it by corporations in recent years (particularly lobbying to have the length of copyrights extended to the current ludicrous lengths, and trampling on the idea of fair use) *is* bad.

I thought the cartoon was nice and it meant well, but this isn't going to deter people from uploading stuff to YouTube that they don't rightfully own. As for the information, most of this is basic knowledge, like the 3 strike system, counterclaim has to be true, you're subjected to go to court, etc. This video really didn't teach me anything new.

I did find it funny that they said that losing your YT account was worse than losing your possessions. LOL!

So you think people shouldn't own the stuff they create? Because that's what Copyright Law determines.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information