So I'm 17, male, baritone. I'm planning to audition for a school choir and the first thing I had to do was let the choir director classify me as to my vocal typle. Now fully warmed up I can sing from E-F3 --- G-G#5. I was hoping to be in Tenor 2 but he decided to stick me in Bass 2. -_- I got really frustrated because the highest note I've heard Bass 2 people sing so far in the pieces is around an F3, and I can sing that note an octave higher all day if I wanted to. I heard that they had a deficiency in low voices, so I'm thinking maybe that's why they wanted me to let me sing in Bass 2, but to be honest, I'm not really into being a bass. I know it's a totally integral part in choir, my voice teacher keeps reassuring me that it's ok to be Bass 2 because it's very important in the drama and dynamics of the piece, but from what I see, average audiences swoon for the tenors, and don't really appreciate the basses until we don't sing and the song doesn't sound as rich. I respect basses, but I'm really just not down with that and I'm not the type to sing in the sidelines.

Anyway, my actual audition is still coming up and the segregation of new voices is still temporary, so is it possible to still bump myself up all the way to Tenor 2? I'm planning to sing a song that shows a higher part of my vocal range. How high do you think I have to go to be able to convince my director I should sing tenor? And what should I say to persuade him? Thanks.