I am travelling to South America in June 2012 and would like to stay there for a while, maybe even a couple of years. I was thinking of basing myself in Cusco, Peru and to start doing some of the touristy and not so touristy mountain tramps. I will likely stay in the areas of Peru, Bolivia and Chile and would like to hear from people who have experience with tramping, hiking and camping. I am not too fit and would like to get started with as little weight to carry as I can get away with. Since I have not done any real hiking or camping myself yet and have never yet been a backpacker but am keen to give it a go, I would love to hear from people who have had some long-term experience with all the above and the areas in question on what to pack, what to leave behind, how to pack, what shoes/clothes to buy, what food to carry, tents, sleeping bags, cooking gear, machete (for bush if necessary), maps, thermal gear etc. Also, if it's best to buy certain items before I get there or what is best bought on location. Any help with the above is much appreciated and anything else I might have missed or any dos or don'ts you know about. Thanks heaps in advance!