Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    jack s

Is it feasible to use mountain bike style Shimano SPD pedals on a road bike rather than

SPD-SL style pedals? I am looking to upgrade to Shimano SPD clipless pedals on my road bike and am pretty stuck with regards to the right ones to get!?

All of the road specific pedals I have seen (SPD-SL style) use a different cleat mechanism to the mountain bike pedals (such as the M520) but I much prefer the mountain bike shoes which have a smaller cleat and are much easier to walk in! I was just wondering if it is feasible to use a mountain bike style SPD pedal on a road bike or if pedals like theA520 are a kind of compromise between the two?

bob a
    There are a lot of people that use SPD pedals on their road bike. It much easier to walk around with the recessed clip. I use the PD-M520 pedals on my mountain and road bike so i can use the same shoes.

Edward W
    Yes it is. I use a Crank Bros candy pedal on my road bike and of course I have seen this done many times over since the threads are all 9/16" on all pedals anyway you will be fine. I would recommend the m520 over the A for the simple reason that you wont have to fumble with it to get in to it otherwise either one will work fine and the A will save you weight too but not much. You can get the M for about the same price if you shop it. I prefer a 4 sided entry and that is why I choose CB over Shimano but use what you like.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information