I am wondering how valid distant education is when it comes to learning a hands on trade.

Specifically I am looking for schools that train in motorcycle mechanics, and I have discovered that the closest school that is NOT a correspondence course would require crossing two state lines. That is not really an option for me at that time. I want to take the course myself, but I can't just take off and leave my kids! I know I am a little weird, I've always wanted to be a mechanic, and I let people talk me out of it. Seems that 20 years ago, most people didn't think it was a good trade for a woman to get into. Well, I figure if I start school now, I can be ready to go to work in the trade about the time my youngest is 11. I am thinking motorcycles because at my age, the physical demands of working on cars might be a little taxing, but the smaller engines of motorcycles, the smaller size of the entire vehicle, means it takes less muscle to maneuver and work on. For example the entire bike can be moved to a raised surface so that you can work on it without stooping. Cars on the other hand involve a lot of bending and stooping, crawling under them, raising them up and then needing to stand looking up with your hands in the air while you work... etc.

My husband is finally supportive of me going to school to be a mechanic, he wasn't when we first talked about it some 15 years ago. If I had done it 15 years ago, I would have had no qualms about doing cars, but I am 15 years older now, and since I can only go to school part time, I'll probably be 3 or 4 years older by the time I finish... So I am trying to be realistic.

So I have been looking at options, and the best one would be a reputable distance course, but I wonder about the validity of the certificate in other people's eyes. Most people I think would question how a distance course could teach a hands on skill. (As a homeschooling mom, I know that I would treat it like I do my kids schooling, just because no one is there to see whether you do the "lab work" doesn't mean you just skip it.) I would purchase several old motorcycles to rebuild as I learned. But when looking for a job I would already face the barrier of being a 40-44 year old woman entering a trade that is usually entered into by very young men, that would be enough of a barrier without also having a questionable education in the field.

So are there any distance courses that are highly recognized?

The other option is to take the 2 year automotive mechanics course at my local community college, and then supplement that with a short course on motorcycles, (trained mechanics can take 2 week courses to get the additional knowledge needed for motorcycles, and I am sure I could arrange a 2 week trip when the time is right.) Then I would have an unquestionable education as a mechanic, but would just specialize in motorcycles and small engines later.

So, I have found distance courses that would teach me motorcycles from the start, without learning cars first, Ashworth is one, the other is Penn Foster (I am not crazy about Penn Foster, I don't think they are reputable), and the other is Lincoln. Are any of these reputable?

Thanks for your opinions.