Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

A few questions about HDR photography?

I own a Sony A200 and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to my camera so that I can take 3 shots (overexp., regular, and underexp.) at once. Is there such a thing?
    I'm having a hard time adjusting the exposure in enough time that things don't move or else I end up with the ghosting effect.
    I've heard that you can take 1 picture in RAW and just pull it up with the Sony software and somehow obtain 2 JPEG images.
    I don't know how it's done.
    Any suggestions on what I need to do?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You need to do auto exposure bracketing (AEB). However, the A200 can only bracket between -0.7 EV an + 0.7 EV.

HDR is still possible. But you need to do it manually if you need more difference in lighting than +/- 0.7 EV.

Try this:

- Set your camera in to manual mode.
    - Choose the aperture to get the depth of field you like
    (You do this by pressing and holding the exposure compensation button and turning the control dial.)

Now your aperture is set and the only thing you want to adjust further for the pictures to generate a HDR is only the shutter speed.

- Press the AEL button of half-press the shutter release button, to make the camera measure the available light.
    - Now a vertical arrow pointing down appears on the "exposure bar" on the main screen. (In the viewfinder this is just a vertical line.)
    - Adjust the shutter speed by turning the control dial to ensure that the arrow points to 0EV.

Now your camera is set to the default lighting picture for your HDR.
    - Take the picture

For an HDR photo from 3 pictures, you only need to adjust the shutter speed to make your underexposed picture, and the overexposed picture.

Making a picture 2 stops under- or overexposed is very easy, just turn the control dial, untill the arrow points to -2 EV or +2 EV.

If you want even more difference or more pictures to generate the HDR, just apply this rule to find the shutter speed when the over- or underexposing is more than 2 EV:

Shutterspeed with n stops overexposing = default lighting shutterspeed * 2^n
    And:
    Shutterspeed with n stops underexposing = default lighting shutterspeed / 2^n

Everytime you go one stop further half or double the shutter speed.

Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information