Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need help figuring out what is wrong with my transmission on my 1998 mazda 626?

I have a 1998 mazda 626 4cylinder. Just recently, when i have been driving the car for a while, the o/d light in the dash starts blinking non-stop. I pull over and turn the car back off, and back on, but it still does it. Also it jerks between 10 and 20 mph. After leting the car sit for a little while and starting it back up, it stops blinking, and does not jerk anymore. I checked my fluid and noticed that it has a blackish sludge in it, or that could also be from accidentally scraping it on something. Last weekend, (before this all started) the fluid level seemed a little low, so i added about half a quart of fluid and a little bit of stop slip, that was supposed to help keep it running smoothly, then checked the fluid again and it looked like i had possibly overfilled it. I think this may have had something to do with it but i am not sure, as i do not know much about cars. Can anyone tell me what may be wrong with my transmission?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    mess with the overdrive button (o/d) it may need to be cleaned out. The transmission is simply getting old. The jerk is from it switching gears, mine does it too. It is not a big deal. Change the fluid as soon as possible. Not many people change the fluid ever in a transmission. It should lessen the jerk of the gears. Hopefully you used the right kind of transmission fluid. They can tell you at Autozone. Since you said it jerked I am assuming it is automatic and in that case you should be using ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid. Manual transmission fluids can damage your vehicle.

Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information