I am going on a cruise with Royal Caribbean that departs from Rome, Italy. The ports that the boat docks at have numerous sights I want to see that are very close to the port so I'd like to take a bicycle to make it easier to get around and not be stuck on just one excursion off the boat for the day. I considered shipping my bicycle from Denver CO to the port and checking it onto the ship as baggage but it's actually much cheaper to rent a bike in Rome and since the ship returns to the same port I can just return it to the rental shop after the cruise.
The shore excursion department with Royal Caribbean emailed back and said I can't take a bicycle on the ship and off the ship at each port. However, a local bike shop in Rome told me they have rented to passengers that told them they were allowed to take the bicycle on the ship. I know I could probably rent a bike at each port, but that makes for extra time, money, and hassle that I'd rather avoid too. Does anyone have any experience or feedback?