Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you are at risk for this turning into a disaster. It is going to change the pH of the water... If you read the source below... I think you might start to get an idea of the impact it could have. I am sure you will get some input from some corrosive experts. If it were saltwater it would really be deadly.
    This is a really bad idea... but it might take some time to be fatal... it will be an agonizing neurotoxic death that will not be recoverable once the signs/symptoms start from the copper salts. Copper sulfate is used in pesticides. Click on the "copper toxicity" paragraph... it give the lethality formula

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dad dumbed almost 1000 unwashed pennies in our aquarium tank, is this ok, willl...

...the fish be alright? There are almost 1000 pennies in the aquarium, all unwashed and who knows where they been. My dad dumped it in the aquarium tank as decorations, and it looks amazing, especially with the gold fish. The question is, can they die out or get sick or some kind of disease because no-one knows where those pennies were. You never know meaby someone took a dump and touched those pennies with unwashed hands. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They will die because it is unsanitized. You need to goahead and remove your fish first and put them in some clean water. Take out all the pennys and clean them well. remove the old water from your tank and clean the tank. Put new water in and start over sorry. Other wise there going to die. Thats your best bet. good luck.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Out of 1000 pennies, chances are many are older, and made of copper.

Get the pennies out of the tank asap, and change the water. Yes, it could very likely kill your fish.

If you want to use pennies as decorations, look online. I can't remember the website (wish I did), but they sell big bags of plastic pennies for decor. Pretty cheap too. I bought a bag of 500 for $5. They are safe and non-toxic, unlike real pennies.

goodluck!

your fish will die some kids even put them in their mouth and people keep money in there bra but can you post a oic so i can see i might want to try but i would clean them first

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    your fish are all going to die.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If the pennies are made of copper you could poison all yr fish.

unwashed pennies are probably not going to be great for your goldfish, which can die under the best of circumstances

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well...... that was stupid!

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    take out your goldfish and keep them in a seperate tank check your water for toxic substances! take out all the coins and use them to buy a decorative piece(s) from your petstore....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information