Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I dorm or live in an apartment nearby my first yr of college?

I know people say dorming is like the ultimate college experience... but I don't know, I'm not into the whole party scene and it will probably be really difficult to sleep/study with another person in the same room.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the apartment is more freedom, space, cheapter, and peace of mind but it comes with more responsibility. i would say use the dorms your first year figure out the area and get on your feet academically then go into an apartment your second year if you choose

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dorm the first year. You get used to living "on your own", but without all of the responsibilities of monthly bills, groceries, etc. Plus, you get to socialize with other people. Not all dorms are party-central. Even the dorms that are known for parties take breaks. No one can party 24/7.

In terms of living with another person, set up rules at the beginning of the semester. ("I like to be asleep by ten o'clock every night, so please don't have people over after that.") Most people are not jerks and will respect basic rules as long as they are reasonable. Make compromises. For example, if you want to go to sleep, but they are still awake, ask them to use their headphones and as little light as possible.

If you need to study and your roommate is being a pain, there are many places outside of your room you can go. A lot of dorms have designated study areas, with tables and chairs and white boards. There is also the library. Random floors on academic buildings are great, since so few people go through them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, unless you have a huge amount of money, you would probably be sleeping in the same room as someone anyway (I don't know of many students who live alone in apartments, or who share apartments but have their own rooms), so that wouldn't really be a factor.

The party scene is usually NOT centered around the dorms, since most schools have pretty strict rules against drinking on campus, so that really isn't an issue either.

Basically, unless your family lives in town and you can live with your parents, or you are over 25, this may be a moot point. Many, if not most, colleges require any freshman of traditional age to live in the dorms unless they are local and live with their families. You can move out after the first year if it disturbs you that much.

Dorm first year def. I would do appartment your junior year.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information