Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Puppy mills and pet stores and pet adoption debate...whos side are you on??

Alright so me and my friends are having a debate on whether its bad to buy puppies or any animals from pet stores..or adopt one....I am on the side where it is the worst thing in the world to buy a a cute little puppy from a pet store because your are supporting puppy mills...shes on the side where its o.k to buy dogs from pet stores because even though they are from puppy mills they do have a harsh background like animals at the shelter and dogs that are usually rescued from puppymills go to adoption shelters any way...so just go ahead and buy it to save space for more dogs.

I totally disagree, because there is nothing like adopting a dog to give it a deserving home for the rest of their life. And most dogs in puppy mills dont even get rescued!

she says that the adoption centers are too picky and you have to fill out aplications for everything...(she says that she applied for about 5 dogs and they have never called her)...so whos side are you on..

..mine or sofias...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    NEVER buy a dog from a pet store EVER! I know it isn't fair to the puppies. They are victims but buying from a pet store(even to rescue the puppy) just encourages the pet store to get more puppies from puppy mills which in turn encourages the puppy mill to pump out more dogs because they know they can make money. It's a vicious cycle that will only be broken when the public refuses to by puppy mill dogs from pet stores!

fetzthebard
    I agree that buying puppies from pet stores doesn't "rescue" them from their harsh backgrounds, you are only supporting puppy mill operations. They don't care about anything but making the money from their ridiculous breeding practices.

I've heard about some crazy applications at some adoption centers, I'd recommend to her to try another adoption group if the 5 dogs she applied for were at the same place. My recent cat was acquired after a small information form was filled out and 15 minutes.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you need to explain to Sofia that if everyone stops buying from stores - puppy mills will have lost a lot of business and a few mills may even go out of business!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    pet shops keep these dam puppy mills in Business adopt one from the pound the reason she isn't getting one is because they have very strict rules it only for the best for the pet don't buy a pet shop animal go to the pound or a respected breeder good luck

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    most of the time dogs from puppy mills have genetic defects and wind up in the shelters anyways or being put down because of it. I think puppy mills are a horrible thing. However buying from a registered breeder and seeing where the dog is coming from is a different story. The only animals i've ever purchased from a pet store where fish and an iguana. All the cats and dogs i've ever owned have come from shelters or have been strays that hung around and eventually they kinda just moved in lol. I don't think I could ever buy a dog from a pet store when I know just how many there are that need good homes and are sitting in shelters lonely. And if your friend has applied for 5 dogs from shelters and not received a call back it might be because they dont think the living arrangements would suit the dog, or she has given up a dog for adoption in the past.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i am on your side. I would rather go for adopting a puppy. All of my animals that i have had well all my dogs have came from the shelter.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yours, I do not support keeping dogs in puppy mill conditions by paying for them. Adoption centers are picky so the dogs are not abused again. And most puppy mill mothers are never rescued, they just get bred to death. I'm all for adoption or reputable breeding.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information