Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check Engine Light on 1996 Toyota RAV4?

I have a 1996 Toyota RAV4. Bought it used and have driven it for about 4 weeks. Check Engine light has come on in the past week. Thought it might be temporary but it has stayed on.

I have hardly driven it since the light came on because I was afraid to damage the engine. But doing some reading, it seems this Check Engine light calls out a problem with emissions and not truly an engine problem. So can I continue to drive the car without worry?

Also reading some data here tells me that I can take it to AutoZone and get a free computer read so I know what the problem is. Then figure out a fix from there. Does that seem right and is that probably the best/cheapest thing to do?

Previous owner said this happened once years ago and it was an O2 sensor. Also previous owner told me they had a problem with a "gas cap leak": the cap would not go on properly but they got it fixed. The light was not on for the four weeks I've had it, so not sure if a previous problem has resurfaced or this is something new.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you have an auto zone store near you take it to them and let them scan the computer on it and they can tell you what made the light come on,it may just be something as simple as a bad gas cap on it but they can tell you for sure what it is causing that too happen to it,i don't think its going to hurt to drive it,millions of people drive cars every day with the check engine light on so it shouldn't hurt anything on it,its just something simple on it,if you don't notice it running any different there's probably just a minor problem with it,good luck.

Im willing to bet its something simple. If the car seems to be running OK, it probably is just a bad O2 sensor or something similar.
    As others told you, swing by a Auto Zone or similar place. They will scan it for you and give you a rough idea what the problem could be. It only takes a couple minutes, you dont need an appointment or anything.

Im willing to bet its something simple. If the car seems to be running OK, it probably is just a bad O2 sensor or something similar.
    As others told you, swing by a Auto Zone or similar place. They will scan it for you and give you a rough idea what the problem could be. It only takes a couple minutes, you dont need an appointment or anything.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information