Little by little there are no consumer left to tax in the cigarette industry. A pack costs about 15 cents to make and sells from $5 to $6. Imagine though, if states would put a $1.00 tax on Big Macs? At the same cost per tax return, they could easily tax Big Macs at $50 or $75. While this is extreme and only the rich could afford such hamburgers, they could easily bump all prices up to $20 per meal at any fast food restaurant. This would allow for congress to focus on green energy while at the same time keeping these fat people from getting sick.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100211/pl_nm/us_tobacco_tax
I have a friend that owns a convince store. He had a break-in last month and said the guy stole cigarettes... but only certain brands. I was shocked wondering why cigarettes and he said it was the most expensive thing a convince store stocks. He said pound for pound it was cigarettes first and chips second. Most people think beer or gasoline... like I did. Thieves don't want off brand cigarettes.
===
Foremost authority:

Well from one perspective you make a good point.

I see two problems there... first someone isn't suppose to smoke near you, but I know it does happen. Ditto, fumes from a bus. And of course anyone that has been camping has smelled wood burning all day long. Burning wood is much more toxic than cigarettes and of course causes cancer as well. Likewise any neighbor's fireplace you smell outside burning is also contaminating the inside of your house and lungs. EPA says Oregon fireplace burning is the top cancer risk in the area. Much higher than benzene and all other car pollutants combined.

The main toxins from burning wood are chemicals called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. That means if you can smell the wood burning you are inhaling the cancer causing chemicals. If you smell it, it's 280 times higher carcinogens than fuel oil burning. The coal Obama is trying to outlaw is even less than that.
BTW, when you smell burning wood, that actually is the part of wood not burning but smoldering.

And secondly you might not feel like a victim but you certainly pay for that fat guy with a heart attack. It doesn't matter if he has insurance or not, or if he is on Medicare or not. It increases premiums for everyone.