Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    rachaellouise_moran

lottery scams, what do they get?

i don't understand these lottery emails that i get. i now they're a scam and i never give them anyinformationn but i want to know what they get out of it. they don't ask for bank or card details just personal information like occupation, address, telephone number. is it identity theft or something? i just wanted to know out of curiosity?

Beth N
    I work for Western Union at a local check cashing company. usually when people receive these checks in the mail *once you've answered back to the emails*, there will be a letter stating for you to cash or deposit the check. Once you've done that, the letter will tell you to wire the money some place, usually Canada, or Nigeria; they want you to send you this money bc its your *taxes* that you have to pay on this money, or some kinda fee. Now once you've done this, 10 to 14 business days later, you will be getting a nice call from your bank of local police dept. bc this is a fraud check. I've seen this soo much. DO NOT EVER GIVE IN TO THIS!!!

Nick P
    they can put spyware on ur computer and spyware alows them to see ur info when u buy stuff online like ur credit card amounts. or sometimes people send them money like even a dollar and it adds up. and maybe after they send u that something else comes asking for u credit card info then if u give to them you are screwed

fardy
    You got it !!!!!
    once they know some stuff about you then away you go ..before long you will be up to your eyeballs in debt that you dont even know about

S C
    Could be ID theft or simply trying to scam money off you.

Once they've got your address, they (being lots of fraudulent companies) will bombard you with letters claiming you have won Thousands or Millions on a State lottery, but in order for them to send it to you, you have to give them a £20 administration charge etc ........ they will then write back saying they need more money to continue processing your winnings ..... and so on.

It's all a con. if you didn't buy a ticket, how could you have won?

They send out millions of these and if 1 in 1000 people respond then they will be quids in and are virtually untraceable.

Most people like us, see straight through this, but it is the elderly who usually get caught out.

Lorne
    They want you to pay them an administration fee - the Nigerian one's are a similar scam - they either have $20,000,000 USD and they need your current account but you have to pay an admin fee to them first or you have inherired it and have to pay an administration fee ...

Bardic
    Usually it's a precursor to you getting either an e-mail or a letter telling you that some "courier" outfit has something for you and needs a sum of money to release it, Guess what happens if you pay up?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information