Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    christinas7971

Girl backpacking in Morocco alone - good idea?

I have done some travel alone, though mostly just through Europe and it was fine.

I am 28, not particularly street smart, relatively dopey, but very independent.

I am desperate to go to Morocco next year and I know I wont be able to find someone to come with me, but not sure how safe I will feel walking around at night in particular on my own?

catherine w
    I would say no. Don't forget that it's an islamic country & their views on women are somewhat different to the western world.

K'Tumble
    Well my mum's friend went backpacking all over the world on her own and settled in a few places for several months etc. and she was ok - she did have some VERY scary experiences, example a man sort of held her captive and wouldn't let her go for days. I don't think he abused her in any way but he just made her live with him.. it sounded weird and scary.

She ended up finding a boyfriend in Thailand and having a kid, then coming back here with the kid (leaving the guy over there, they split up)

Scent of a Man
    Its ok,dont listen to other people who say that its a muslim country and its not safe,it doesnt have to do with religion I think,its not really dangerous,Im Moroccan flesh and blood,but I would recommend not to walk alone in EMPTY streets as we have some jerks over here like everywhere,also some men here can be dump when seeing an outsider,the best way is ignore them,so other than this you would be fine and you would enjot it.
    Good luck in Moorish Morocco.

Bobby W
    In a Muslim country, alone? Good luck, they don't even allow it.

Whitney
    There are some places I would travel alone, Morocco is not one of them. I strongly would not recommend it. The men there seem to be starved of women. The never leave you alone. Can you imagine I went there with another female and the attention was unbelievable. They follow you and never take no for an answer. Some times they seem genuine but they trick you. I haven't the time or space on here to tell you all the stories. Wait and try your hardest to find someone to go with. I found it a struggle travelling with another female there can't start to imagine what would have happened if I went alone.

princess_mimi
    NOPE i wouldn't risk it by yourself to be honest. I think that if you are know yourself that you are not street-smart then other people will pick up on this and i really would no twant to risk it. I know it's a bit of a cliche but you you know that people are always like 'it would never happen to me'well it has got to happen to somebody and don't let it be you. I mean kidnap/rape...stuff like that by the way.

Good luck though. I'm jealous cos i'd love to have travlled europe.

x

slipstreamer
    Not really.

blokefella
    Ignore all the idiots telling you not to go,I doubt they even know where it is exactly.

You;ll be fine.You may get a bit of unwanted attention in parts.But just follow the same precautions you would at home and dress conservatively.

There are plenty of backpackers/tourists in Morocco.Its not iraq.

blokefella
    Ignore all the idiots telling you not to go,I doubt they even know where it is exactly.

You;ll be fine.You may get a bit of unwanted attention in parts.But just follow the same precautions you would at home and dress conservatively.

There are plenty of backpackers/tourists in Morocco.Its not iraq.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information