Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rex The King

summer only cottage package

Does anyone know if Bell offers a "summer package only" for cottage owners that are not regular bell subscribers?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Best bet is to purchase a used receiver from someone reliable so that you don't have a contract. That way you can stop programming without penalty at the end of the summer. It is likely that you would have to pay for your install though (or do it yourself).

Ex Agent EV

Also note that Bell requires a 30 notice beore they close the account...if you call for example August 26th the channels will only be removed on September 26th

SensualPoet

Four years on, I don't ever recall anyone here asking about that. Bell terms and conditions are very clear: new customers are offered one year or two year contracts -- there is no "summer only" option.

If you buy a receiver from someone else, and continue to operate it under their name, that is stealing (aka "account splitting") and contrary to the Bell T&Cs.

If yo buy a receiver and "use up" their closing month of service at your address, not theirs, that is also stealing.

Bell will, however, allow you to sign-up legimitately, and you can pay the cancellation fees when you break the contract after three months. It's not pretty, or cheap, but it's perfectly legal.

ScaryBob

Bell once allowed new customers to sign up without a contract under the following terms.
    1. Use a working receiver that is already owned (previously used by subscriber or purchased used), not a new one from Bell.
    2. Pay a $35 connection fee. (Might be $50 now.)
    3. Customer provides the dish and installs it themselves (or pays contractor.)
    4. 30 day cancellation notice applies.

Not sure if that is still possible. Bell also allows vacation disconnection for one to 6 months for $10/mo if done online or $15/mo through a CSR. The 12/24 month contract must still be honored by purchasing 12 or 24 months full service. A 12 month contract could be honored by subscribing for 6 months a year for two years with 6 months vacation at $10/mo in between.

Shaw Direct is another option but they have an implied 1 year contract on new receivers. If you purchase the receiver from them but you must return it or pay a penalty if the contract is not honored. They also have a vacation option with similar terms.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sensual Poet - Please note that there was no implication of account splitting in my reply. I assume buying a used receiver meant buying a used receiver and calling up Bell as a new sub without a new contract. (as ScaryBob pointed out.)

New customers activating new receivers will have a contract. New customers activating used receivers on a new account (and therefore receivng no promo) have no contract.

Dave Johnson

I think Bell TV should follow Dish Networks Prepaid/Dish Now program.
    Have a look. http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/...d/default.aspx

smootherator

your other option might be shaw direct (starchoice). They don't need you to get locked in for 1 or 2 years. Their offerings are comparable and I think you get more HD free...not sure. Just go look on their website for info.

Ex Agent EV

When you open an account with receivers purchased of an ex client you don't need to sign a contract...all you have to pay is a 35$ transfer fee, which lots of agents forget to add

Since you are not on a contract you can terminate the account whenever you feel like it, as long as you warn them 30 days before you want the service terminated

There would also be a 50$ reconnection charge each summer added to your first bill when you reconnect, another charge that agents often forget to add too

SensualPoet

I wasn't making an accusation; if it sounded that way, I apologize.

The following posts made it clear that:

1) you can buy an existing IRD from a customer at XX$ which that former customer ensures Bell has been notified is now ex-account;
    2) you can purchase and install at XX$ a dish and wire your cottage at XX$ to supply a signal to your used IRD;
    3) you can find an agent over the phone to re-activate your disabled IRD for $35 and pay month-to-month as a new subscriber, without install fees or install requirements, and cancel with 30 days notice in August without further penalties or obligations.

If
    1) the receiver is free (I won it from my buddy in a poker game or bought a used 2700 for $50?); and
    2) the location is an existing installation (I recently bought the cottage from my buddy which had an ExpressVu dish installed with all working wiring to the living room allowing me to plug 'n' play); and
    3) the agent did not insist, as a new customer, you had to sign a contract and would allow you to cancel at the end of the summer -- say in 90 days;

then
    this works out ok for you. It's a legitimate bargain -- go for it!

Most customers will discover there is no "summer only cottage package" from Bell ... which, as the thread title, was what I was replying to.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information