Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    smells like pot

Spiritually speaking, is it wrong for NASCAR to use 2 million gallons of gas...

...each season going in circles? Oil is a limited and unreplenishable resource. Do we really want to squander it on something as silly as watching cars go in circles?

Vicarious Cynic
    Ain't that America?

Ralphy
    Did you actually begin this quesion with "Spiritually speaking"? WFT dude??

billy_spell
    Well...is it SPIRITUALLY wrong? I don't believe so. Spiritually, God put all things under man's feet, meaning man is to control the things of the world - the animals, environment, etc...
    We are also though supposed to entertain ourselves. So I don't know which is nescessarily worse - watching cars go in circles, blasting off a space ship with thousands of gallons of fuel, politicians flying in private planes, etc... So theoretically there are other things worse I believe.

Oh and by the way, for those that think watching nascar is boring, it usually these people that enjoy watching a ball go back and forth across a court or chasing a little while ball around a course.

ROBERT B
    No.
    Yes, the economic and political down side to stopping silly forms of entertainment is huge. Going form a consumer economy to a truly green one would be the most massive economic disruption ever. Music, movies, candy, all professional sports the list is endless of the things that waste energy.
    Politically there is going to be a large bunch of unemployed, bored angry people.

Marcus
    No, the earth will be cleansed by fire anyway, so it won't matter. NASCAR is a sport, and like all sports, it is a waste no matter how you look at it.

math girl
    First of all- I'm cracking up over here! Second of allI don't think it's spiritually wrong, but morally wrong and selfish. I think it would be much more of a sport if they put the cars in neutral and let the drivers push. I wonder how the Daytona 500 would go. They'd need a weekend for it- and lots of ambulances!

monstrisa QMM
    I don't think they should do it, for that, and because it is super boeing to watch

fruitcake
    I don't think it's wrong if they pay for it. If they run out of oil they'll come up with something else. They're already making progress in that. When NASCAR can no longer afford the oil, I'm sure the rush for research and development for alternatives will skyrocket.

Mopar guy
    I'm not much of a Nascar fan, but this is far better than some sports throughout time. Sure beats watching the running of the bulls (talk about silly, and stupid). I guess we could bring back the real gladiators, and get death row inmates to club each other to death, or something like.
    Far as wasting fuel...yeah maybe. But I would bet the fans use much more fuel getting to the track, than the cars going in circles use.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information