Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

used BB unlocking question

If I get a used BB and it is from an unpaid account will I have trouble using on my account? Could it be unlocked and used on an AT@T account? I'm looking at buying a used pearl but didn't know if they party I'm getting from didn't pay the bill can T Mobile lock the phone so it can't be used on another account with them or AT@T? I've had that problem with Verizon before so I want to be careful bwfore I get another phone. Hope somebody can understand my question. Thanks

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes if the previous owner didn't pay a bill the carrier *could* blacklist the device. not sure what to do if that happens

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

~via BB (wap.rabroad.com)~any idea how to know before you buy a phone? I know you have to be careful about buying anything used but I didn't know if the phone was unlocked if that would make it safe. Also if I would get the phone and have it working on my account do you think they could blacklist it then and have it turned off? If I could make a deal in person I would make sure it would work on my account but if they could shut it off later I would still be screwed because I would have already paid for the used phone.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

~via BB (wap.rabroad.com)~
    You won't have any issues if its a gsm device.

Simply go into the store, tell them you want to start a new line of service and you have your own equipment.

If something does happen when they put the imei number in (chances being very slim to none) then they can just say the imei is 15 zeros.

The only real devices that can screw you with an unpaid balance are cdma devices.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

but the problem is they are asking if the carrier will unlock the BB if there is an unpaid account. I don't know first hand, never had this problem, but just assumed it would not be likely from reading this thread http://blackberryforums.rabroad.com/38667-buying_phone_with_a_previous_unpaid_bill.html. perhaps blacklist was the wrong choice of words but it would still be unusable if that were the case. I guess you might have luck with one of the 3rd party unlocking services though.

and from reading this thread: http://blackberryforums.rabroad.com/55757-bb_account_problems.html
    someone reported a few days ago that BIS gave an error that the IMEI was not allowed

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

~via BB (wap.rabroad.com)~thanks for all the help. Sounds like I might be ok with a used bb. Has anybody switched a T Mobile pearl to AT@T? If I get an unlocked phone do I just need to load the AT@T OS and then put in my sim? I know just getting an AT@T branded phone might be easyer but I see a lot of used T Mobile ones so the price seem to be better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information