Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Wild Irish Rose

Suboxone + Tramadol ???

As I've said before, I'm a chronic pain patient who became addicted to Norco. Am now on sub for almost a year and doing very well.

My hubby and I went out of town last Saturday, which involved a 4 hour drive each way, and between the fibromyalgia and arthritis, I'm still in severe pain today (Tuesday). I mean pain where I can hardly walk, and sleep is impossible.

My question isn't about my CP issues, though. At my last rheumatologist appointment, he mentioned I might be able to use Tramadol, only for severe pain, and he recommended my husband hold the prescription for me (duh!). What I need to know is if Tramadol can be used while on sub?

I meet with my addictions doc later this week, and then hubby and I are going on vacation for two weeks, which involves an 8 hour drive there and 8 hours back, plus I'm hoping I don't have to sit in the cabin and not enjoy the vacation. Does anyone know if sub and Tramadol can be used at the same time?

Maybe this question should be on another board (the Pain board?), but I thought with the sub and addiction concerns, I'd ask you all, because I know there's a wealth of info here.

Thanks so much,

rose

brianpain33

Suboxone + Tramadol ???

I dont' think it would be a good idea since you are on the Suboxone. I did a little checking and found:

Concomitant use of tramadol and other opioiRAB, including mixed agonist/antagonist analgesics, should be avoided in general. Patients should be monitored for development of seizures and CNS and respiratory depression.

You could always call a pharmacist and ask their opinion but it sounRAB like it could possibly cause withdrawal symptoms since tramadol is a weak opiod. It also raises the seizure threshold meaning you could possibly have a seizure. If you are having bad pain you might want to inquire about Lyrica which is used for nerve pain and is non-narcotic although it is a scheduled medication (Sch V) which is the lowest. Have you tried taking OTC ibuprofen or Aleve? Does it help at all? Just curious and throwing out options.

brian

Wild Irish Rose

Suboxone + Tramadol ???

Thanks so much, Brian. I figured the tramadol was a bad idea. Thanks for doing the research I should have done myself.

Interestingly enough, I'm already on Lyrica for fibromyalgia, and also Celebrex and Aleve (I know those two sound bad together, but my Rheumatologist oked them to be used alternately).

Thanks so much for your ideas, though, you were a big help. Saw my sub doc today and didn't even bother to ask about the tram (don't know if it would be good for me to take it anyway, even without the sub).

So...thanks again,

rose

tigerlilyx61

Suboxone + Tramadol ???

I am currently on tramadol and my doctor told me I could supplement with vicodin if I need it.

brianpain33

Suboxone + Tramadol ???

This I have done also and did not have any issues. The problem is when mixing it with Suboxone that you could get the withdrawal effect from the naloxone in the Sub.

brian

Wild Irish Rose

Suboxone + Tramadol ???

That's exactly my concern, plus the fact that I think the best thing for me to do is to just learn to deal with the pain. My pain from the past weekend is just starting to ease off a bit, and even though I was miserable for several days, I did live through it.

I'll just have to monitor my physical symptoms and listen to my body while we're on vacation, and try not to overdo it, and if I do, then I'll just have to rest. There's nothing wrong with just laying around on a pontoon boat in the middle of a lake, or in a lawn chair outside the cabin, which is right on the lake. I'm a "water person" anyway, and being near water is like prayer and meditation for me, so I might just discover some new ways of self-comfort and pain relief.

I didn't even bother to ask my sub doc yesterday about the tramadol, just figured I'd listen to your advice, Brian, and play it safe. After all, everyone has some physical pain sometimes in their lives, and I'm not "special".

Thanks for the advice, Brian and tigerlily, I appreciate it so much. I'm hoping the vacation will also help me relax and get over some cravings I've been having (even with the sub). My life is getting a big chaotic at this point, and of course, that's a BIG trigger for me, so being up in a quiet, no-hurry place away from phones and other triggers is just what the "doctor" ordered - lol.

Take care, I'll talk to you all in two weeks.

rose

xSoTiredx

Suboxone + Tramadol ???

Don't do it!!

I had to go on Suboxone to get off of tramadol, and now I've bee taking sub for over a year.

Tramadol is just as addictive as any pain pill out there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information