Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Teenage Daughter passed out..no warning

Hi, I just wondered if anyone has any ideas as to what may be going on with my Daughter please. She's almost 15 yrs old, this morning she was in her room, feeling fine, she remembers looking at the clock, it was 10.30am, the next thing she was aware of was that she awoke on the floor, on the other side of her room, feeling really confused, almost as though she had been asleep for ages. She had bumped her head on the door, although only a minor bump, and is now feeling a few more bruises developing on her arm and hip areas.It was then about 10.50am,as though she had lost nearly 20 minutes. She was really upset, shakey and confused, I phoned our Doctor who spoke to her, and reasured us that it was a faint, probably caused by postural hypotension, she usually has low blood pressure and her pulse is normally around 50-55. Immediately after she came around it was 133, and her BP was much higher than usual, which I put down to what had just happened.
    We're going in the morning for some blood tests, for possible anaemia and blood sugar levels, then see the Doctor next week for the results. Another thing that I'm sure will be significant is that she has recently lost a lot of weight, at 5ft 4" she's around 100 pounds now, she's now trying to eat more. It's really scared her, so any suggestions would be great, many thanks.

Has your daughter taken any Gardasil shots?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, is that the vaccine for cervical cancer? No she hasn't had any vaccinations or medicines recently, thanks for the suggestion though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Could have been low blood sugar - esp since she awoke so late in the morning. I imagine she hadn't eaten in a good while?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is a bit strange, I have fainted several times before and I always get some warning signs just before it happens, like dizziness and feeling sick to my stomach. Also, when I fainted, they only lasted for less than a minute but to me it felt like hours. Its unusual that your daughter was unconscious for 20 minutes.

The last time I fainted (about 18 months ago), the doctor tested my thyroid function, liver function, kidney function, blood sugar levels and also for diabetes and aneamia. I also had a CT scan of my brain. All the tests came back normal but my fainting was due to spending too long in the spa (it happened to me once when I was about 10, I had a long hot shower and passed out twice straight after I got out). I actually had seizures but I have also 'just fainted' before, without the seizures. The doctor also wanted to do an EEG (to test for epilepsy) but he decided that because my other tests all came back normal, it wasn't necessary. Like your daughter, I also had a very high heart rate after fainting, mine was about 120 and my blood pressure was a bit higher than normal aswell. Fainting is very scary, especially in my case because I had seizures too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information