Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    " Alice got to me..."

Left ribcage problems

Hi,

For the last few weeks I've been having strange feelings in my left rib cage. When I walked, I would get a stabbing pain. I went to my doctor because it was really bugging me, but the chest X-Ray was normal. Since then I still get some discomfort but it is not tender. My fiance pointed out when I was lying down yesterday that my top couple ribs on my left side and really sticking out compared to my left side and that she never has noticed that before. I doubt it is possible for your ribs to move, but I have never noticed it either. The two ribs go out quite far, then the lower ribs are in a normal position, so they look weird. Anyways, does anybody know what could cause this?

FYI - I do have Celiac Disease and according to my GI doc, I had it likely most of my life undiagnosed. (24 years old) It still is not in control as I have antibody levels, but it is getting there. I just had a chest X-ray which was good, but I never had a bone density scan. Didn't know if this could have anything to do with it. Thanks!

Thanks.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Left ribcage problems

---double post---

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Left ribcage problems

Are you on the gluten free diet 100%? I was just dx'd with celiac 2 weeks ago, but the reason I kept going back to Dr's was because of pain in my left rib cage and my left ribs are more prominent than the right- especially the bottom 2 ribs- they stick out more- it almost looks like there is a lump there, but according to my Dr's it is just the rib bone. I've had XRAY's and CT scans that were normal.

Mine is VERY painful.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Left ribcage problems

I know Celiac isn't the best news, but I'm glad you got a diagnosis. Yes I am 100% gluten free, well I try to be. I know I have ingested some gluten by accident since I still have antibodies after 1 year checkup.

As far as my ribs, it is the upper 2-3 ribs and almost as if there is a lump where the 3 ribs connect in the middle of my chest. It doesn't hurt, but I do get cramps when walking.

I hope you find out what is wrong as well. My CT, Ultrasound and X-Rays have been normal as well. Have you had a bone density scan?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Left ribcage problems

Have you ever heard of costochondritis or tietze syndrome? I was dx'd with both of those before the celiac thing and it sounds like what you are describing to a tee.

I am not sure really what is going on with my ribs, I guess I will find out when I start the diet! I have not had a bone scan- maybe that will be next if the diet doesn't work.

At first they told me to stop running (I was running a lot) because that might be causing the pain in my ribs, but I stopped and the pain is getting worse so obviously it was not that.

At least if what you have is costo or tietze- it is a benign condition and usually goes away on its own.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Left ribcage problems

have them check elec and you could have a hinged rib. i have one. i get stabbing pains quickly on my right side.
    i was dx with a kidney issue last year some of the pain has gone with rx potassium. and you could have a vit defiencey from the celiac issue. get them checked. drs do not routinely do either unless they have a reason to check.

that said, push on the where it bugs you and see it it moves a bit. mine do. and if walk a lot or fast and breath heavy it rubs more agains the area. i hate walmart for this reason or ikea. try riding a bike for exercise or walks.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Left ribcage problems

Thank you both for your responses.

I tried pushing on it, but it feels hard like a rib, so no real movement in the lump.

As far as electrolytes go, I have them checked monthly and they are good right now. I do have fairly low B12 at 280 (range 220 - 1000).

I will see my doctor next week and it does sound like it could be Tietze syndrome, but I don't have the pain all the time. Walking was horrible last week but ok this week, just sticks out and looks strange. I know the lump is knew though because what are the odds my fiance and I notice the new lump within the same week on different days.

Thanks again

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information