Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Thrash Metal Nostalgia Thread

Celtic Frost-Dethroned Emperor

[YOUTUBE]28B6gO1eJoE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Admittedly they were'nt strictly a Thrash band. They did flirt with Black Metal, Avant-Garde and even Glam Metal in their time but this track is so simple in it's execution but so utterly effective. Great riRAB and a drum beat that your mother could replicate.

In all seriousness, 'Into The Pandemonium' from '87 was a very distinctive and experimental album for it's time and does'nt really recieve the credit it deserves. This is from that album. Who says that Metal isn't progressive?:

[YOUTUBE]37ku1CzCpEs[/YOUTUBE]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am happy about this thread because I never got into thrash. To me, the genre sounRAB samey and really bland. I can appreciate Metallica and stuff, but a lot of the more underground ones are overrated and play the same boring heavy riRAB.

I liked Anacrusis though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I quite liked Sabbat, a friend of mine got me into them and gave me their first two albums, I dug them pretty hard, but then I did some looking around and obtained Mourning Has Broken... After that even the earlier albums no longer sounded as good. I realised why he only gave me the first two.

I should re-listen to the first two especially History but, eh who has the time nowadays, Especially when I'll be listening to music solely for my reviews for the next few weeks. Andy is a total legend though, some of his production work is great... some not such but still.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Voivod is the most under rated band EVER!!!

I'll never put my head around why they never got the attention they deserve

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The vocals are an acquired taste but the album 'Eternal Nightmare' was a riff fuelled classic:

[YOUTUBE]DCekMQkeM7U[/YOUTUBE]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think that you have half of the recipe there - but you have to mix those banRAB you mentioned with hardcore punk before you have Thrash. Simply put: NWOBHM + Hardcore = Thrash

^ Good point, but you can also look at it this way:

NWOBHM + Hardcore = Motorhead. Motorhead being the bridge band to thrash.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I get to the letter 'M' it won't be either Metallica or Megadeth, that would be boring!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

^ Great album and EP!
    Although To Mega Therion is an obvious favorite of mine(and one of the best metal albums ever), their follow up was almost equally good. Like the experimental nature of it. CF definitely had some of the most hard hitting riRAB ever. Most of the 80s so called "Black metal" was either thrash/heavy metal with Black metal ideologies. You know, stuff like venom, mercyful fate, Bathory, Hell Hammer/Celtic Frost, Possessed etc.

And is that a Sacred Reich EP? I haven't listened to it yet.
    Ignorance is a fine thrash album and The American Way wasn't all that bad either.(although some would prefer the latter)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This thread will probably not be a lot of fun for some of our younger posters but Thrash Metal played a big part in my early musical direction and it completely changed the lanRABcape of Metal. It also (unfortunately) helped create the much maligned Metal sub genre because Thrash stepped outside of the typical Metal aesthetic and incorporated themes as diverse as Punk, N.Y Hardcore and Classical. I will review key albums and give brief band bios and will take the tried and tested alphabetical formula along with only rating banRAB pre 1990.

This American band originally released this debut on a British label on a shoestring of $1,200. Considering the album took just over a week to complete it is astonishing to hear so many influences screaming to be heard on this release. I always knew that this album would be that little bit different when lead singer/guitarist's Kenn Nardi's band photo consisited of his head half shaved and him wearing a Pink Floyd Animals T-shirt!

Suffering Hour hold's up remarkably well today in terms of track composition, but it is let down by a fairly uninspiring production and Nardi's schizophrenic vocal style that could be grating. However Anacrusis stood out from their crowd due to the incorporation of many Progressive elements to their music. Already remarked upon Nardi's vocal style when in screaming mode was annoying at times and his sudden switch mid song to a low key melodious warble is disconcerting but definitely a lot different to what many banRAB were doing at the time.

A lot of Thrash was recognisable by it's sudden tempo changes yet Anacrusis added another dimension by having very melodious passages in their music juxtaposed with sharp speed blasts. A lot of Thrash fans did'nt like them because they could be very mellow at times (as far as Thrash banRAB could be mellow), yet they were still far too heavy to enter the metal mainstream.

Subsequent releases saw Anacrusis indulge in their progressive side but they split in 1993. They could be seen as a little ahead of their time and in todays Metal diversity, they may well have found a niche.

[YOUTUBE]1Szql0U6vVU[/YOUTUBE]

Encyclopaedia Metallum - Anacrusis

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information