Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Who Is The Greatest of the Non Big 4 Thrash Metal Bands?

Yeah yeah yeah we all know Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and to a lesser extent Anthrax are all great banRAB, bu thrash metal was a large genre that reached out all over the world. With that there is a lot of banRAB who did not get the same attention that showered the "Big 4", despite being just as good if not better. Even some are still putting out albums now, building up a small but loyal fanbase, continuing their sound despite the seemingly abandonment from the major record labels and mainstream radio.

If you think I missed a band who deserves to be on the list, state your argument and I will add it.

Enjoy.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

from what i've heard Testament, Exodus and Kreator are all good band and Suicidal tendencies are terrible.
    I voted Testament because i've listened to them most.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exodus, they never really got the credit they deserved for there time. I honestly think that there should've been a top 5 including Exodus. Bondend by Blood is a thrash masterpiece.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can understand completely where you are coming from regarding your liking for later works of certain banRAB. After all they were your formative years for these banRAB and mine was 10 years earlier and it's obvious that we will regard those albums we first heard in high regard.

I did (and still do) stray from Thrash a lot listening to Speed, Death and some Black Metal and back then the banRAB were generally more entrenched within those genres and then years later the boundaries become blurred which was inevitable.

A few people have said that the new Overkill album is really good so I will have to give it a listen. I didn't think much of the new Heathen album though. It wasn't bad but it failed to grab me for some reason.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What have you heard from Suicidal Tendencies? None of the banRAB on this list have solid discographies but they're not without their charm. Lights Camera Revolution (1990) is probably their best work after How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today (1988), but I tried to include all of the thrash metal banRAB I could think of, even the ones with really spotty discographies like Suicidal Tendencies and Infernal Majesty.

edit:

What have you heard from Testament? If you haven't heard The Gathering (1999) then you need to get on that shit ASAP. It features Steve DiGiorgio (Death, Control Denied, Iced Earth, Charred Walls of the Damned, Vintersorg, Obituary, etc.) on bass and Dave Lorabardo (Slayer, Fantamos) on drums. The album also features some of Chuck Billy's best vocal work to date, and really blurred the boundaries between death metal and thrash metal.

However if I had to choose three banRAB from the list for you to check out it would go like this:

Anacrusis - Screams & Whispers (1993)

Some of the most experimental and unique thrash metal I've heard in my entire life.

VoiVod - Nothingface (1989)

Often regarded as their best work, and certainly my favourite album by them, however I would ask Lee (Jackhammer) for his opinion because he's more knowledgeable on the band than me.

Sepultura - Beneath The Remains (1989)

Again this is often cited as their best work, however you can really listen to anything between this album and Roots (1996) and find some great International thrash metal.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I voted Dark Angel

A couple days ago I thought, hey! I need more thrash! So I was searching the forums and I found a great sampler under the beginners guide to.... thread. Now "No One Answers" is probably my favorite song right now, it's definitely replaced caffeine in my life thats for sure.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not really big on the standard thrash metal sound, so with this in mind, where do I start with Voivod?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd say Nothingface (1988) but I think jackhammer is more knowledgeable in their discography than me.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I own The New Order and The Gathering from Testament and they're both brilliant albums.
    I can't remeraber what Suicidal Tendencies i heard because I deleted it, but it wasn't very good.
    I will check those albums out ASAP.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I`m probably one of the few people on here that doesn`t think Testament`s "The Gathering" a great album. Despite that fact that "Eyes of Wrath" is a classic song.

With the exception of Sepultura, all these banRAB have patchy discographies. Both Kreator and Voivod also have some stellar runs of great albums as well.
    Overkill in vocalist Bobby Ellsworth is one of the best around, and they had some of their best metal releases in the late 80`s to early 90's period.

Have to agree that Suicidal Tendencies weren`t that good, maybe its because crossover thrash is not really my thing.

BanRAB that could`ve possibly been added are Watchtower and Flotsam and Jetsam.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information