Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why is Japanese animation so abundant in quantity?

As it seems to be, Japan is the world's largest producer of animation. Whereas as less and less animation is being shown on American/Western networks, Japan churns out a huge amount of anime every season. Cartoons in many different varieties, genres and demographics.

But more and more, I wonder why.

The popular example is that Japan lacks resources in live-action and resorts to using animation. Even still, I hear that anime is still not quite popular and is mostly enjoyed by young children and the "otaku" crowd.

Why is there so much of it if the majority doesn't care for it?

It's a lot easier to get sponsors, as most if not all anime is taken by multiple comanies. Plus, a majority of works are adaptations of another source (Manga, light novel, etc.) so they have the backings of the parent origin company also.

Also helps their average animator wage is somewhere around 3 dollars/hour, so they're cutting costs effectively.

And animation in general is more static in comparison to American animation except for high-quality A titles like Gundam.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The abundancy is due to piss poor wages, "limited animation" (you can thank Osamu Tezuka for that one), and the shift to CG on harder-to-animate objects. It also helps that all they're producing these days are total crap. Take a look at their ratings. Two of the highest rated shows are from a 10 year old franchise and a 20 year old franchise.

Personally, I would like to see Japan cut back on the amount of shows they make each year. If you're paying your workers slave-wages, they're not going to produce high-quality work. And if all you're going to create are fanservice shows aimed at otaku, then you're not going to get the mainstream support you'd need for high quality work.

Cut back a little, distribute that money more fairly, focus on quality not quantity, and only animate the very best manga or original stories. Then you're back on top, Japanese Animation Industry.

I hate fanservice shows. I'm a mainstream kinda guy.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

There's plenty of non-fanservice shows airing in Japan right now. Rainbow, House of Five Leaves, Giant Killing, Working!!, and plenty others.

The sheer amount of shows being made as well as the variety and quality of them are why I like anime so much. There's fanservice shows, yes, but also plenty of others as well.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pretty much what Taek said. Lots of sponsers and cost-cutting measures makes them far easier to produce than western animation.

Not to mention how many of the series get merchandised all over the place. Figurines, art books, DVRAB, it practically pays for itself.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a completely untrue statement How does that prove anything? That's like wondering how South Park or The Simpsons still get ratings.

But I do agree with the rest of what you said. The only problem is that if they cut down shows (like say, Winter 09/10 season when there were only 15 new anime series) you get complaints that Japan isn't producing enough anime. If they are like right now with the 20+ new series, you get complaints that there is fanservice-only shows. Now personally, Spring 10 has been amazing so far so I don't agree at all but that corabined with the near-slave wages animators get payed proves that some balance neeRAB to be created.
    Yeah, pretty much this. noitaminA proves that anything can work.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't use all. I think most is a better term. For the last year, I can count the nuraber of series on my hanRAB how many unlicensed shows I'd actually want to own from 2009 and 2010 so far.

That's... pretty sad, not to mention pretty telling that my tastes don't align with what's popular. I wonder which one will die first - my interest in anime or the R1 industry. :P

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information