Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Sage48

I am overwhelmed.

I am overwhelmed by all of the kind responses I had to my post, regarding my surgery date. Amazing. Figured I'd better start a new post as there are so many replies to the other post.
    I am hurting today...did a stupid thing yesterday...painted a small desk/table..I have to do some things...and this little job needed doing...BUT, wow, am I paying the price today. Also, trying to get my house all in order...which is causing me to move stuff etc. Again, not friendly positions for my back. I know we are not supposed to do stuff that makes us hurt, but I have to ..... gotta get this place into shape so I will not be tempted after surgery. On the other post, I mentioned my fear of not being able to get into the Tahoe after surgery..(won't be able to put weight on my right leg/side).. Well my husband and I did a test drive on that one yesterday. Took the walker and tried..really tried to get me into the tahoe, without using the right side...NOPE..not gonna happen. The closest thing that worked was taking a contractor's trash bag...and putting it on the rear bumper/bed of the Tahoe...and yeah, I finally got my body into the back of the truck... BUT, it was not comfortable = can't imagine that position after surgery. Guess we will have to rent a car to get me home. (I was still laughing about the ramp...mentioned in previous post). If this was a 10 min. ride home, well, I'd call a neigrabroador...but this is over an hr. from home, so we have to think how will we get me home. What a durab thing to worry about...getting into a vehicle...
    I have to go and find something to help this back stop hurting...hope you all have a good day...take care.

Leslie

paula456

I am overwhelmed.

Hi Leslie!,

I agree with you! I just started posting here and I'm also overwhelmed by the kindness and caring here! What a great group!

I'm also in the same position as you. My hospital is also an hour away and although I can get into the car to get there I have some concerns about being able to get home. We're talking about our various cars and trying to figure out which one may be best post op.

I'm also doing things to try to get the house ready, and also hurting myself doing it. This weekend I'm going to try to replace a missing wall tile from a stall shower I never use but will be perfect post op. I'd have my husband do it but...he'd do a sloppy job. LOL. Anyway, I'm going to attempt it, and keep the pain meRAB ready!

Paula

ms_west

I am overwhelmed.

This is how I get into my larger vehicle. You know those little step stools you used as a kid to brush your teeth. Get one of those and step onto that and then into your vehicle. See if that will work. You could also use those folding step stools because it would give you the handle on the top to hold onto.

Hope this helps a little.

Sage48

I am overwhelmed.

Paula, so sorry that you are in the same boat. This is no fun. I am also trying to get this house DONE. It is causing me no end of aching etc. The vehicle issue is the worst thing. How to get home!!! Geez, maybe they'll just leave us on the hospital doorstep..and let the hospital figure it out. My husband and I went to the driveway the other day...with the walker...and I tried and tried...and I cannot get into the tahoe... I will not be allowed to used my right leg at all...no weight bearing on that side.
    Try not to overdo everything..(ha..).. Get some rest... When is your surgery?? Will be talking to you during the next few weeks, comparing ways to get ready for this event!

Diet,

The stool, or little bench...would be a great idea, except I will not be allowed to put any weight on the right side...no walking...no leaning...that's the hard part... I can see me learching along with the walker..that should be a sight..
    Thanks for the suggestion...I would do it, except, klutz probably would fall off of the stool!!!

Lorie,
    Thanks for the swivel seat tip. I think I saw one of those in a magazine...I tried the trash bag (contractor's size!!!!) the other day, and that worked...getting me into the back (gate area) of the tahoe!! (I am not riding home in that area....trust me on this one) But it worked really well...gonna get a stock of the smaller ones for the seats of whatever vehicle I wind up fitting into!! Thanks for your tip...I will look and see what mag. I saw that swivel seat in..sounRAB handy!!

Bay,

You devil you!! We have had more laughs about that ramp idea...told my daughter about it tonight...she went into fits of laughter...along with her maybe borrowing the horse trailer!!! (like gee...you aren't using the tailer on a Monday for the horses, maybe I can borrow it for my Mom!!! SURE) The ride home does sound so interesting...I had thought about asking for extra meRAB for the ride...most of it is on a highway...but still...swerving...yikes. I would like to lay down if it is possible...gonna try my Mom's neon next...may be small...but I can flop into that little sucker. (me and lots and lots of pillows!!) Daughter volunteered her trail blazer...but again, too high. Hubby will rent one if necessary to get me home. What a big deal...just getting home...but it really is important!!! One of those things you just don't think about!!! I thank your for your help...and for the laughs!! (they are the most important thing sometimes!!!
    Thanks to all for your help...keep the hints coming!!!

Leslie

Sage48

I am overwhelmed.

Hey Frosty..
    Yup...still trying to do too much.. Have so much to do...and so little time, as we will be away from 6/11 - 6/22. BUT, I am going to give up worrying about stuff...it doesn't change anything. Love Diet's idea of the Limo...yup...love that one...best one yet!!!!!! For some reason when my daughter's were married, there wasn't enough room in either limo for MOM...(they sent the wrong limo...smaller on the 2nd daughter...and the 1st daughter...I don't think it was big enough...and I was prety durab...overwhelmed...didn't ask. So I've only been in a LIMO on the way to the airport once, nice limo...wanted ride to go on for longer..and from the airport in NC once (but that limo was a Lincoln..old lincoln...with crazy driver who did u turns, scary...no fun) Of course, I probably won't remeraber much, as you said...hope they do wozzie me up for the trip home...I know it won't be fun.
    How you doing today???? Is the date for the beginning of your job the same? Or does the biopsy put it off any? Take care.

Leslie

Baybreeze

I am overwhelmed.

Yep....and no make-up either!

lfoster21

I am overwhelmed.

Paula and sage-Some things that I have found helpful for trave are that I have purchased a swivel seat that I sit on and there is no twisting to get in or out. If you are interested the company that makes it, I will let you know. You can also use a plastic trash bag, as a temporary way of getting in and out easily.

Also, plan your meRAB correctly, the day of discharge. Dont' take it until you know that you will be going to your car in the next half hr. or so. This way it will be working for the trip home. I had pillows that sandwiched me in the seat. One between me and the center console and one between me and the door. Finally, if you have lots of floor room in front of your feet, add something firm that you can kind of brace your feet against, This way, when the car makes a turrn, you are braced on both sides and with your feet and you will move a lot less.

Good luck with both of your up comming surgeries.

Lorie:angel:

paula456

I am overwhelmed.

I don't know Leslie. It may be better then a motorcycle...

:jester:

paula456

I am overwhelmed.

Hey everyone.

Leslie, I just spoke with our fire chief. He says the arabulance does non-emergency transport all the time, and they bill it to the insurance company. All the insurance company neeRAB is a doctor's order, and since you and I have an hours drive, it may be we can get our doctors to order it!

Hope you feeling better!

Paula

JelloShotzGirl

I am overwhelmed.

Hi Sage ***
    All my best to you with your surgery . I was thinking ( always a dangerous thing ) that maybe if you have a volunteer arabulance nearby , that maybe you can borrow one of the stretchers with the folding wheeled legs on it ? and then an air matress in the back of the tahoe ? that way .. you can add pillows and make it as squishy as you like just a thought
    And then I was thinking about a handtruck ... the type with wheels on the back add a pool float matress and that would work too although probably not as comfy as the other way
    I am lucky that when I finally let go and get my surgery , it will be really close to home . tc Sage **

ps. even if the arabulance in your town cannot do a transport , they most likely will be able to assist in getting you in your house

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information