Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Unlock without hitting menu?

I have heard several ideas on the most efficient way to do this. This is by far the only idea thus far that has made any sense. I like it, though implementation might be tricky.

I guess if it could be done, it wouldn't even have to be a white dot or circle. It could be something like a tiny little fish, or even a little green android. How sweet would that be? A little green android moving aimlessly around the black screen that you'd touch to bring the phone to life.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a GREAT app idea. Id definitely install that.. I can't stand the way this phone locks down all the time

I like it but even projecting "black" on the screen still uses up more power than I'm comfortable with. Now if I can use a tap/touch pattern on the screen without the screen being on (if that made sense?), that be mucho awesome. Forgot pattern? Find a way to text yourself a safe keyword to remove lock.

If only....

I don't think you'd have to project black on the screen, I think you'd have to write an app that worked like a screen saver on a laptop. Whereby, after a specific time (2 minutes, etc...) the phone "shuts down" and goes into screen saver mode, at which point the only thing running besides background apps or whatever else runs would just be the little 'whatever' moving around the screen. It would have to work like a screen saver on a laptop or something where it's shut down to the point where it's saving power but the screen is still technically operational. Basically, it would be doing whatever it does when it locks the screen down but without actually locking the screen down. (I think the only reason for the screen lock is to prevent doing something on your phone via an accidental touch. Is this right? If so, a small moving object on the screen should almost completely prevent accidental phone usage.) A small something moving around on the screen shoudn't be much of a power draw at all. Even then, you could set a longer time (2 hours, etc...) at which point even the "screen saver" would stop and the phone would lock down.

I would think you would have to just write it as a screen saver app, and then in order for it to work right, you'd have to change your phones setting to setting>sounds and display>screen timeout> never. The app would have to control the setting like when to go to the screen saver and when to lock down all together.

Is it possible???

the problem with the little white ball moving around (screensaver), it would require the display to be on... thus using more battery power then the current screenout version.

Does the phone do anything to save power when the screen timesout, or does it just turn off the screen?

Not to put this thread back on topic or anything, but as a new user I'm also quite frustrated with the 'power', 'menu', 'lock pattern' cycle. Menu is totally unnecessary.

As to the suggested tricls to avoid hitting menu... those only work on phones with physical buttons.

As my Samsung Moment has a capacitive button for the menu key I have to power on for the phone to recognize menu... menu does not work as a power button.... but once the phone is powered... menu is totally pointless if you are using a lock pattern.

Which provides both security and a pretty failsafe pocket-dial prevention mechanism. 'Menu' is useless if you have a lock pattern

This is something they really should address in a future platform update.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information