Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sync ONE GROUP of contacts only with android (HTC Desire)

That didn't work either

I did the force stop, clicked home button and I didn't get the same popup box with "launcher" in it that he got in the video, it just went to the home screen and a "loading" graphic came up and then the icons I had and the clock appeared one by one on the home screen and I was back to Sense

Also, if you pause that video at 1:22, you can see when he scrolls through the stock android apps, you still see "people" as opposed to "contacts" so I'm not sure if that would work either..

Thanks for keeping the suggestions coming in anyway!

Yeah when you revert back to the Android home, you get the Contacts app, but you do still get all of the HTC Sense apps (like People) too.

That's worrying for me... I was relying on the Desire being able to drop back to Android if I got one.

I take it you haven't done anything like install a custom OS or rooted your phone? It's all just the standard OS?

All I've done is a hard reset, I've changed nothing else stock wise since I got it out of the package from the Network shop. I'm at a loss now, don't know what to do

Yeah... me too :/ This sucks as the Desire is something I am highly considering when I'm due an upgrade soon.

So, the only other solution I can think of is to use a different GMail account. I do this already, and I simply forward a copy of all email from my main account to my phone. I also exported my contacts from my other account, edited them in Excel to remove most of the contacts that are just email addresses, then imported them into the account I use on the phone.

Wish there was an easier way though.

That won't be an option for me I'm afraid. I use the phone for business and have well over a thousand numbers and this is why a seamless system is important for me. I also want to share contacts (as well as the calendar/documents I'm already sharing on that address) with others who need access so to do it that way would just be far far too messy. I also need to be able to export just the one list to a CSV file for use with spreadsheets and all so I need this option

Can't believe the older ones have it and the new ones don't!

Well I might have been wrong in that assumption. The HTC Desire shown in the video is running the same version of Android and Sense as you are (all HTC Desires, so far, have always come with the latest version of both).

It is possible that the mobile operator you purchased the phone from has customised the phone and removed the standard Android Home.

One more thing I've thought of... if the Contacts app is still there (but hidden), you may be able to make a shortcut to it using an app like Any Cut. Run the app, select Activity, wait a while for the list to populate, then press on Contacts (if it's there). If it is, you'll have just made a shortcut on your home screen to Contacts.

You could then just use the standard Contacts app for everything. Or perhaps even set the sync folders in there and the People app would use the same settings.

By the way, exporting contacts from the Google website is easy. You can export in CSV format. So you could still export/import between either of the two accounts, edit them, and share other people as needed, even if you have two accounts.

Tried that, got any cut but there is no "contacts" tab in the activity list

Is there any way to get the contacts app from the app store or anything I wonder and just try that way? Can't find it anyway when I search for it

By the way, I'm not sure how much customisation my network provider, meteor, would have put on the phone, it wasn't even locked when I got it

I thought you could just grab a compiled version of the app from somewhere like XDA, but I checked on there and found that while most apps do work, Contacts doesn't: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=6256561

Thanks for finding that out for me! Just isn't working out at the moment I guess

If you ever do find a way around this, please come back and tell us how I'll be in a similar position to you soon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information