Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tungsten T3 users, please tell me how ?

So many stories, so many vendrs.
    After having my PDA messed up with what was supposed to be a ADATA card purchased from ebay.
    And have had a problem free 256kb Lexar (a company I cannot stand), I would like to know if Any of you are using 512MB or 1GB secure data cards that work well on your Tungsten T3 ?
    For those SD cards that you are using that are 512 or 1GB on your T3s, PLEASE let us know:
    • IS the card a 512 or a 1GB SD card ?
    • What is the name of the vendor of the card ?
    • Did you need to insgtall any additional software on your T3 to get it to work ?
    • How do you find the performance of the SD card, especially compared to smaller ones ?
    • Did and Do you have any problems with it ?

I perosnally do not respect whatever Palmone says about it, they are looking out for themselves only. BUT .... I believe this is where we need to come for the truth, experienced . helpful customers who are gracious enough to share their experiences ?

I have the standard 512Mb SD by Kingston. The memory is stable, works well and I don't have any problems on my T3. I find it rather slow using it with the T3. It is fast when I use it with my memory card reader via USB2 connection to the PC; however going through the T3 is slow. The SD card manufacturer is Toshiba. I believe it's 2Mb/sec transfer. I didn't do the bench marks ratings eg VFAPIxxx whatever...

No additional software. Just plug in T3. You can format if you like.

It's noticibly slow transfering maps to memory using mapopolis; but I'm transfering approx. 20Mb+ files. But I guess you get what you pay for. I got it for $64 A/R. If you are in CA. I would get it from ebuyer.com. No tax. free shipping. not sure if rebate is still available.

Zipzoomfly, buy.com, and other places charges tax for CA. Best to wait if you can. Prices are dropping fast.

dono222,

Thanks a lot for ytour time.

I find it amazing that you are the first one to reply to this.

You did not i
    Install the "recommended" software that Palm says to use ?

When doing a lot of writing, reading or even arranging on the T3 and with my CF card on my Canon camera, I always use the UDB connector. To be honest, I do not like my camera, or even my PDA to be connected to close to my PC. Of course the speeds are going to much higher, plus you can see everything.

Did you ever use a card besides the Kingston ? I wonder how it compares in speed to others that are 512 or 1GB.

I am much more concerned about read speeds than write speeds.
    The number one concern though is reliability and also backup support of something occurs. I know Lexar, which makes excellent cards or I should say Panasonic, has the most awful offshoring support. I was so disgusted. But then again Palmone's offshore support is terrible. I once had a argument about the existence of the Tungsten T3 with a offshore Palm "support consultant".

Always remember, the big reason for a company offshoring is not for cheaper support, or to get more diversified in their IT support, it is to evade paying taxes !! Most large U.S. Corporations pay absolutely zero in taxes by doing the offshore game. The offshore contracters, who I have trained a lot of are mostly exploited individiuals who do not get enough information to do their job and they are working for a greedy contractor who underballed their bid to get the contract. It is not their fault.

Jon

I have had no issues with any cards on the T3 since the update was released last October to fix some read problems. Prior to the software flash.....SanDisk cards caused me more problems then any others.

I've used and have in the T3 a 512MB SanDisk Ultra II card. I have also used a Lexar 512MB that was of Panasonic manufacture but it's now used on my Garmin IQue because it's read speed is far superior to the UltraII.

I have also used various other SanDisk cards ranging from 256 down to 64 on the T3.

I actually prefer cards manufactured by Panasonic over the SanDisks based upon more experience with the Que then the T3 just because I had the Que before the T3. Good luck with them and the SanDisks.

I suggest going into the iQue Forum and run a search for VFS and there are several good threads that people have actually listed their results of VFS speeds on their cards. I'd post the link but have to go for now due to time constraints.

Moose Man,

People like yourself who take the time to share their expertise and experience for no financial gain is about the greatest gift that anyone can give to someone else. I need to remember to say that more and Moose Man, bless you.

Yes the Lexar is a Panasonic anad they have two levels I believe.

I just read a great review about a Kingston Elite Pro.

I also believe that Simpletech and San disk are related in some way.

So probably on the dollar side, the Lexar and the Que rather than the Panasonic you get the same card, but pay less.

I wonder about the use of Simpletech as well.

I just had my second thought of the way.

I do believe that Palm moved the manufacter of the T3 to where it would be cheaper, in China. Palm swears that there is no difference, but I wonder if the people who have purchased the T3s made in China, need to run the software patch and have difficulties with the SDs ???

Jon

Jolo: From what I can understand from your garbled grammar and spelling, you want opinions on SD Cards and don't have a good thing to say about U.S. Corporations.

You do NOT want opinions on launchers, I take it, judging by your stand-alone thread that related to NOTHING except to ciriticize those with "opinions.":

http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/show...threadid=48070

I suspect this is the reason people didn't respond to you - it's certainly the reason I didn't. People on this forum tend to be OPINIONATED because they tend to be BRIGHT; I've certainly learned a heck of a lot from opinionated members, and of course have a few opinions myself - as you clearly do. That's what makes this thing great. I don't know who you're referring to by this statement:

"Moose Man,
    People like yourself who take the time to share their expertise and experience for no financial gain is about the greatest gift that anyone can give to someone else. I need to remember to say that more and Moose Man, bless you."

Several developers post here (ToySoft, Red-Mercury and others) and personally I welcome their posts as they can shed light on their OWN products for the rest of us. There is no "hard sell," and frankly if they persuade 3 people to buy their product, I wouldn't call that a "windfall of financial gain." I guess as long as they're not sharing their expertise on launchers, it's okay. Well, here are some SD Card points for you:

1. Lexar use SanDisk and Panasonic cards and you don't know which you're getting until you open the package.

2. The reason Panasonic support is overseas is that it's JAPANESE. What PalmOne do with and for their support is THEIR business and perogative, and the marketplace will decide if that move was "prudent at this juncture."

3. I really don't care where T3s are made as long as they work. Perhaps on a forum somewhere else besides here we could discuss banning Sony Handhelds, Toshiba handhelds and Japanese cars as well, despite the fact that every Toyota Camry is now MADE IN AMERICA, as is most Mercedes Benz. I really don't understand your point.

4. With prices dropping on all types of external memory storage, you might consider BUYING one and trying it for yourself; I wouldn't worry too much about "support;" on an SD Card; it will either work, require re-formatting, or won't work at all. People have varying requirements for SD Cards but I have found the fastest read/write speeds with Panasonic - I wouldn't buy a SanDisk at any price since I had one go bad in a week. After all the SD Card "fixes" required for my T3, I'm sticking with 256MB Panasonic because it works, is easily manipulated by Card Reader or File Manager on the Palm, and is VERY fast. I posted read/write times here once before. 512MB is a lot to "pull from" and if you purchase one (and I hope you do after all this) just be sure and back up to the PC in case it goes bad. Several people on here are using 512s and love them. THEY are the people I would listen to, as theirs obviously work. Personally, I would use 2 x 256 cards.

As for your barrage on American companies and your political "sign-off," what we're really concerned about here is Palm Software and Hardware -- and that is what your question pertained to. Many on this forum have helped me and will cerainly help you - but that will require an "opinion."

I read two sentences and all I can say with my heart is "get a life".

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just for those who were offened by my reference to Chinese. There have been some discussions on this forum of some of those offened would look. In 2002, when Palm changed their manufacturing, some felt that the Chinese versions screens were not good. I remember reading this string in particular and in wondering why some people had no problems with their PDAs and SD cards and some did and why some needed to run Palms "fix" for this and why some did not, it was a thought that the change in manufacturing sites might make a difference.
    China versus Japan string

I thought this was one of the common known little controversies about Palm.

Also, President Roosevelt was a President of the United States.

Can we get back to the SD conversations ?

Besides not understand way Palm wants all tto run their "fix" program , which sounds like it could be dangerous, it looks to me, that I favor the Panasonic grouping.
    I do have a prejudice that I have purchased a lot of Panasonic products over the years, last week, I got a Hi-Def, HDTV monitor and after my new cable box was delivered I was blown way.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Panasonic
    [list=1][*]Simpletech - SD goes up to 512MB and their prices seem reasonible. [*]Lexar - They might even have a 1GB, but they two have two types, a standard and a "faster" 32x. I did have a very bad experience with their tech support, but I also own 3 Lexar memory sticks and a Lexar SD, that is 32x. [*]Panasonic has a 512 and a nice 1GB for $499, Definately more money[/list=1]

I guess it sounds like if going Lexar, it might be worth paying more the for 32x performance gains.

Last, I will share a little pricing with you.
    This is all from www.newegg.com because I usually shop there and I really like their pricing/service.

[list=1][*]Lexar Model Model# SD512-231 - 512MB - $92.00 - .99 shipping [*]Lexar Model # Model SD512-32-231 High Speed 32x - 107.00 - $1.49 shipping [*]Sandisk Ultra II - Model# SDSDH-512-901 - 113.00 - Shipping $1.49 - Not Panasonic, but I thought I would list it anyway[*]Simpletech, must be a hot item, have a few, none in inventory[*]Panasonic, there aer no SD cards sold by Newegg at this moment[/list=1]Link to Lexar page

Link to 32X lexar page

Sandisk Ultra II card

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information