Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifi

Wifi

hi guys,
    I've recently set up my wireless lan network at home. I've got my computer up and running already. Nw I'm ready to do the same for my T3. What SDIO lan card do you guys recommend? Is palmone the only brand of SDIO card that works with my t3? Are there certain buggy issues that I have to look out for? Can i solve them? THanks for the time.

Wifi

Hello.
    Palmone is the only one selling the wifi card for the t3... for now.
    The set up is very simple just follow the instructions.
    Download drivers, you might have to reset the t3, and insert the card.
    That is all. The card will search for any wireless network available (including your neighbors if they have wireless). Pick the network and you are on. Best view is landscape. The only con about the wireless card is the battery drain. I have the battery to go if I feel I will be on it for a while. If you have pocket tunes you can go into a website and listen to their radio too (check pocket tunes website for details). That is cool, but like I said it drains the battery.
    Besides that there are no problems that I have come across.

Good luck.

mas

Wifi

Hi,
    Why thanks dude for the swift reply. I really appreciate your help. Hope to get a good deal at my local retail on the SDIO palmone.1 last question: can sandisk's wireless lan card work for my T3? THank you once again.

Wifi

The Sandisk WiFi card works with Zire 71 only. You'll have to buy direct from PalmOne if you want a WiFi card for a T3.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wifi

According to PDA Essentials magazine there is a third-party wi-fi solution for T3, a company sells an integrated leather case with wi-fi. It actually connects through the universal connector (so you can still use an expansion card, good if you want to download). It even has its own power supply, which sounds useful for the T3.. I would have tried to get hold of one of those things if I hadn't already bought the Palm wi-fi card (which works great, the only problem is the battery drain and that it occupies the expansion slot).
    Unfortunately I don't have the mag here, so I can't provide further details as to vendor name etc.

Wifi

Hi,
    THanks guy. I think i'll stick to the tried and tested method of the palmone SDIO. Anyways I already have the palmone's aluminium casing and it cost me quite alot from my allowance. So i'll just use it for the time being. Thanks alot for the addition info. Have a great holiday one and all!

Wifi

Followup: I found the ref. to the 3party wi-fi for T3, in case anyone's interested: Just google for 'enfora wireless t3'
    More expensive than the SDIO card but then you get a case too.

Wifi

I have the palm wifi card and it's working great. It's perfect for instant messaging (if you're fast enough with graffiti) and surfing if you're too lazy to lug the laptop to where you want to sit. Not a complete internet solution. I don't think it will ever take the place of a good ol' laptop.

Here's a question for all of you: What is a good add on battery pack to extend the battery life of the t3 so that I don't have to plug in all the time? I know Palm sells a power to go sled but that's pricy and how long does the battery last on the sled? Any other options. Thanks!

-CH

Wifi

mspadaro is correct about the fast battery drain. Very shortly after receiving and using my Palm WiFi SDIO card, I bought a Palm Power To Go. Fully charged, it's good for about 3 to 4+ full re-charges of my T3. I can also run WiFi with my T3 attached to the Power To Go sled. I bought mine from buy.com in September for $37. I recently saw it at compuplus.com for $32. Not sure about the shipping and handling.

Another cool device to get is a pocket WiFi detector/finder. I went through a Kensington (too big and could be more sensitive) to a Smart ID (wayyyy too big, but a great detector) and finally decided on a PCTel WiFi Seeker. It fits on my keychain and will quickly scan for a WiFi signal. Walking to a post office a couple of weeks ago, I found a signal and was able to get my email and update my AvantGo. Only problem with the WiFi detectors is that you cannot tell if the signal is secure or open. Got mine for $25, but saw them advertised at CompUSA for $15 in a promo ad.

Wifi

Here's a review of the PCTel WiFi Seeker, if anyone is interested:

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/pctel-w...er-review.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information