Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Hindus and pagans, what are your opinions on missionarism and proselytism in general?

@Fiction Slayer

Agreed

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ?? ????????

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I disagree with it and think it's wrong, personally. I think it destroys culture and ruins tradition, and it is also deceptive and dishonourable.

Some examples I would think are what missionaries are currently doing in Asia. I have a great deal of respect for Asian cultures and spirituality. But we only need to look at what's happening. In Indonesia and Malaysia, the gods and spirits of the region are starting to be forgotten about due to the rise of Islamic proselytism in those areas. In Thailand and Vietnam, missonaries are rapidly converting people away from their traditional gods and spirits, and towards Christianity (this is especially happening in rural and uneducated areas). In China and Korea, people are being convinced by large businesses in those countries that their traditional religion is holding them back and they should go to Christianity instead. Mongolia and Tibet are suffering from missionaries converting the people. In India, missionaries use deception in an effort to destroy the great Hindu religion from the subcontinent. They will find someone who is sick, give them fake medicine, and tell them to pray to Hindu gods to make them healed. Of course, it doesn't work. Then they will give them real medicine and tell them to pray to Jesus instead. When it works, the village will become converts.

I also feel sorrow for the loss of the ancient civilizations and their spiritualities at the hands of those who wanted to convert them. The tribes of the Americas also suffered immensly, and in many more areas besides.

Today we only need to look at people proselytising their religion. It can become extremely annoying and frustrating to people who just want to keep their religion to themselves being constantly harassed and told they must convert or else burn in Hell. I'm also opposed to people who spread lies about other religions to get them to convert, as it leads to hate and violence. This has been done throughout the ages towards Pagans, Hindus, Jews, Buddhists, Shintoists, and many others.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information