Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    just walk outside and start walking. endless hours of walking.

simple.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to roam the streets of NYC on your own, explore and visit?

I am living in NYC, but I'm free over the summer - I was wondering if anyone had the best suggestion as to roaming NYC - I mean, I don't just wanna see Times Square or The Statue, or take the bus tours - I want to actually roam the streets and see everything that is culturally significant, and I have 2 months to do it. Local residents might have some idea how to do it - I would appreciate it if you could give me something like a 2-month itinerary. As for starters, I live near Columbia University.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The best way to do it is just walk around on your own. I've walked from one end of Manhattan to the other in about 2 hours. There are many things to see in the city on both the East and West side. You will find many local spots many people don't know about this way.

Don't forget to walk a bridge (Brooklyn-by city hall, Manhattan-by bowery, Williamsburg-by Delancey) and head on over to Brooklyn for more. I'd recommend walking the Brooklyn Bridge, and walking around that part of town, lots of shops, places to eat, and things to see.

Many websites offer this information with a simple Google search but I find it way more fun to just get out there and walk around! I know this city like the back of my hand (all 5 boroughs) just from doing this!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From Morningside Heights go north up Broadway. This will take you through CCNY's campus on Harlem Heights (scene of a battle in the Revolution). Continue all the way to the hill at 181 Street. Many interesting ethnic sights. Enter the park on your left and walk up to the Cloisters, must beautiful spot in all NYC.
    Down Broadway to 81 Street, then left to the Museum of Natural History (if you really like to walk this Museum will accomodate you!)
    Going south, down Broadway to Columbus Circle (59 Street), see Lincoln Center, enter and go through Central Park.
    You can do Greenwich Village and Chinatown in one day if you wish.
    If you go up Broadway as far as 207 Street, turn right on 207, cross the bridge (where it becomes Fordham Road) and walk to the Bronx Zoo. This is a long distance walk from Morningside Heights, you might want to take the #1 subway to 207 Street and start the walk from there. This walk also gets you to the Bronx Botanical Garden.
    Take the ferry to Staten Island, go left out the terminal on Bay Street. You can either walk Bay to van Briesen Park under the Verrazano Bridge, or turn left at Victory Boulevard and walk it as far as you like to view many Island communities.
    Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and explore Brooklyn
    For Queens take the #7 subway to Flushing. Walk to the Bowne House Museum (a stop on the Underground Railroad), and explore from there.

Walk around like you own the place. Don't gawk at skyscrapers and touristy stuff. Spout out artists, companies, and stores that no ones every heard of (So you look 'worldly'). Black umbrellas only. Complain about the traffic around Times Square and how its too 'quiet' around the hicks and rednecks. Hate New Jersey. Talk with your hands and with an exaggeration on all of your vowels. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information