Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

side by side scroll region in html?

I am trying to set up a webpage that has a long list (in table form) on the left hand side of the page and on the right hand side are buttons and stuff that will effect items in that list. I would like the list to be scrollable, but for the buttons and stuff to be stationery.

In its simplest form, so far I have this

<div style="height:100%; width:80%; overflow:auto;" valign="top">
    <table> <tbody>
    <tr><td>howdies</td></tr> <tr><td>howdies</td></tr> <tr><td>howdies</td></tr> <tr><td>howdies</td></tr>
    <tr><td>howdies</td></tr> <tr><td>howdies</td></tr> <tr><td>howdies</td></tr> <tr><td>howdies</td></tr>
    (repeated enough times to be longer than the height of the browser window - to force scrollbar)
    </tbody> </table>
    </div>
    <span width="auto">right side</span>

This has the table scrollable, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the right side to be on the righthand side without the line break after the <div>.

I have tried setting the style for <div> to be inline, but that ended up disabling the scrolling. I tried putting it all in one table, but again, that disabled the scrolling part.

I could put all of this into an iframe, but because the stuff on the right side is going to effect the stuff in the table, I can see that the iframe route is going to be yucky (going up and down levels in the javascript stuff).

Is there something I'm missing or have overlooked? I can't seem to find a solution for how to do this.

My primary target is for Firefox, but I'd prefer a solution that would work on any browser.

Thanks.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    try to change align=right...like this:<div style="height:100%; width:80%;
    overflow:auto;" valign="right">

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information